Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best wood for a pipe

Blog Entries

Best wood for a pipe

I have a friend who smokes a pipe and it occurred to me that would be a good indoor job that would create very little dust.
    What type of wood is most commonly used and is there a link somewhere on pipe mmaking?

Here's a thought....search "best wood for pipe making"....

Blog Entries
    The pipes my Dad had were Briar wood. He also had some meerschaum pipes.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Briar rose. Use the root. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

I never seen a pipe made of anything but briar of meerschaums that I believed to bone/ivory
    You only need 2 tools in life. If it's supposed to move and doesn't... use WD40. If it moves and shouldn't... use duct tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    I have a friend who smokes a pipe and it occurred to me that would be a good indoor job that would create very little dust.
    What type of wood is most commonly used and is there a link somewhere on pipe mmaking?
    I have a stash of briar burl pipe bowl blanks, already hollowed and shaped outside with wooden part of the stem already shaped.

briar_blanks.jpg

I've cut the stems off some and turned little bowls (like the one on top of the pile in the photo) - the wood so wonderfully hard and fine grained and beautifully burled. I might be willing to trade one for something. (But it would be better to talk your friend into quitting the pipe and living longer.)

As for instructions, you can use Google to find lots of web sites with how to, what tools are best, why to use certain woods, kits to buy, more than you can probably read.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Tibbetts View Post
    I never seen a pipe made of anything but briar of meerschaums that I believed to bone/ivory
    Meerschaum is a type of stone also known as Sepiolite that comes from Turkey.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Some Meerschaum pipes from my collection for those that are not familiar with the medium:
    IMG_4403.jpgIMG_4406.jpgIMG_4402.jpgIMG_4401.jpg
    Last edited by Ted Calver; 01-07-2018 at 9:46 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I have a stash of briar burl pipe bowl blanks, already hollowed and shaped outside with wooden part of the stem already shaped.

briar_blanks.jpg

I've cut the stems off some and turned little bowls (like the one on top of the pile in the photo) - the wood so wonderfully hard and fine grained and beautifully burled. I might be willing to trade one for something. (But it would be better to talk your friend into quitting the pipe and living longer.)

As for instructions, you can use Google to find lots of web sites with how to, what tools are best, why to use certain woods, kits to buy, more than you can probably read.

JKJ
    What are you thinking about? Certainly wouldn't be any of my tools (except for the 0766)

I can go down to the public park a few miles from here and pick you up a handful of used crack pipes.....

There's a bunch of 14-17 year old "entrepreneurs" there who could make him a bong very cheap..... maybe I can ask them for a set of plans....

Blog Entries
    I'm guessing you may want a piece of wood?

Do you reload?

The type of wood isn't as important as the way the pipe is cured out.
    Walnut of course, shouldn't be used, but, other than that, it's pretty wide open.

Back in the day - when I smoked a pipe and made a few - I'd cure out the bowl by filling it with red wine and letting it sit for a week.
    Then I'd drain the wine - let it dry - and pack the bowl and fire it up.
    I'd be very careful not to let the bowl get too hot - the idea is to let the tobacco form a nice think crust or cake on the inside of the bowl.

Once the cake forms - then all you have to do is scrape away the excess when it builds up too much.

Your burning tobacco should never - - after the initial cure - come in contact with the wood inside the bowl.

FWIW - corn cobs make excellent pipes.
    I tried a whole bunch of different types and always came back to the good old Missouri Meerschaum!
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    I might be willing to trade one for something.
    What are you thinking about? Certainly wouldn't be any of my tools (except for the 0766)
    For trade? Oh goodness no, I'd need something more valuable, like a good story, a song, a joke I haven't heard, or the intention of some deed payed forward. These were gifts to me and I still have a few left - I gave away a few and traded others for some good company.

Best wood for a pipe

For pipes in Detroit they used hollowed out tamarack logs, last functioning one I'm aware of was dug up about 50 years ago. Other woods have been used, out west they used staved redwood for large pipes, it's likely that some are still functioning as drains. In England elm was used...

Oh, sorry, wrong kind of pipe!

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post

briar_blanks.jpg

JKJ
    You don't by any chance sell the blanks do you...? I'd be mighty interested in one
    Epilog Fusion M2 40 Watt CO2 Laser