Thread: Fixed DC ductwork vs Flex

Fixed DC ductwork vs Flex

Hi all,
    I have a PM DC Canister on the top. Currently I have flex hose that I crawl around and move from tool to tool. My question is can I run fixed duct from this portable unit. The inlet is low so to run a main on the ceiling is immediate "Y" off the inlet Is his an issue? total shop size is 3 car garage. Also is a separator ok on his type o system?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

How big is your DC, HP and impeller? Could you add a SDD and make it into a cyclone unit? Is it big enough to operate with 6" pipe?

I'd guess you have something similar to this?
    http://www.powermatic.com/us/en/p/pm...r-kit/1791079K
    You can use a separator, you will have some static loss, but it will better protect your filter and add convenience.

You could switch to fixed ducting, also, although I would keep the layout simple, As a general idea, I would likely look to 5" or maybe 6" depending on your system and layout. I don't think an immediate 90 off the inlet of the collector is a big problem, long radius 90 or 2 45's is best. A cyclone or separator like the SDD though does typically benefit from a straight run immediately prior the inlet to improve separation.
    Good luck.

You could disconnect the filter/bag collar from the duct, remove the castors and then screw/lag the base into the ceiling. Then put the filter/bag collar back on the duct. Now the fixed duct can go straight into the impeller. You may want to put a small shelf off the wall to support the bottom of the bag and have a small step ladder handy to spin the paddle.

Can you post pictures so that those in the know can better evaluate what you are trying to accomplish?