Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is MDF strong enough for this Fancy Push Stick?

Follow-up: what I decided to do

Just so it goes into the archives to help the next guy.....

I added coarse screws to the butt joints. Thanks for the tip to clamp the MDF that I was drilling/screwing in order to support it. That would never have occurred to me and I think it helped.

I cut off the solid wood handle and made sure the "stub" was flush. Over the top of that, I glued down another (partial) layer of 1/2" MDF and mortised a plywood handle into that.

I decided it was easier to use the push stick with the handle facing straight forward, rather than canted toward the fence (see original pics above). Since the push stick encloses the Biesemeyer on 3 sides, I decided it didn't need to be angled after all.

Pic of the "version 2" below, straddling the fence with a narrow piece of wood being pushed. You can just see the leading edge of the Shark Guard.

20180107_170315.jpg

Thanks again folks!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I would have the blade side of the jig screws horizontal, preferably above the max hight the blade could be raised to prevent any chance of cutting into a screw. SawStop owners think of these things. I would also make the blade side vertical piece taller so that when the bottom gets chewed up you can make a new notch and drop the side down and refasten. Looks like "h" when viewed from the end when new and like "n" when reworked.

I hate to put any type of metal anywhere it could come in contact with a spinning bit or blade.
    When I have a jig like that to make, instead of putting screws in it, I glue it first and screw it to hold it together while the glue dries.
    Once the glue dries, I remove the screws, then drill the appropriate sized hole (1/2" for 3/4" stock - -1/4" for 1/2" stock) & glue a dowel in there.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Peter, Rich - thank you guys. All helpful ideas to me!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Biscuits (I know, dirty word) would be a great application for this. No metal to work about & very strong. I wouldn't use screws at all because MDF has no strength against splitting & putting a screw into the edge is just going to weaken it.