Thread: Board & Batten Wainscoting

Board & Batten Wainscoting

While maybe not a 'proper' woodworking project, it sort of is/was.

Anyway, wanted to add a craftsman style trim to our dining room. Exterior of the house is definitely craftsman and wanted to carry it through. Some before and some after photos as well as a time lapse! Still need to go back for some touchup in certain areas, and we'll put in a toe moulding here shortly, but close enough to done to share. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fndlgnvnMWg

IMG_4394.jpgIMG_4396.jpgDSC_8730 1.jpgDSC_8737 1.jpg
    Last edited by Christopher Juncosa; 01-06-2018 at 11:49 AM.

That looks very nice, Christopher. And I disagree...that's absolutely a "proper" woodworking project!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looks good!
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

Very nice! The casing on the windows looks excellent, as well.

Thanks guys. The window casing we hadn't thought about in advance and was sort of spur of the moment and Im glad its impactful, we like it.

First major trim project and its pretty interesting as you realize, even in new construction like this, things aren't level, true, plumb, or square and how to work through those issues. Anyway, fun to do and glad you enjoy it.

Cheers!

Nice! That really brightens up the space and makes it look more formal and larger. The floor is pretty snappy as well.

<p>
    That looks awesome!! I despice the builder grade mouldings. Id rather the house came with none at all so I dont have to rip them out. Its the one reason I want to build a house. Well, that and to have a 4 car garage incorporated . You did an awesome job. Chunky, bright, its definitely a transformation</p>

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bochenek View Post
    That looks awesome!! I despice the builder grade mouldings. Id rather the house came with none at all so I dont have to rip them out. Its the one reason I want to build a house. Well, that and to have a 4 car garage incorporated. You did an awesome job. Chunky, bright, its definitely a transformation
    Thanks very much! I can't stand the builder mouldings either. We built the house and the irony was that the builder refused to do craftsman style trim AND refused to do no trim. They said they had to put up at least their own crown, baseboard, and chair rail to 'preserve the quality of the neighborhood'. I guess I could have under-spec'd the house and never followed through with my embellishments, but geez.

'you can build your own house to your own specification as long as its exactly the way we say it should be'

Anyway, wasn't too tough to pull it out. The real PITA was the baseboard which they put in BEFORE the floor, so it was about 0.25" lower and behind the flooring. They covered all that up with a toe/quarter round so it looked like it was done correctly (flooring first, baseboard on top of that.) It only mattered because you cant pull the baseboard straight off the wall, I actually had to pull them UP and out, which meant trying to leverage the boards up without denting/marring up the flooring and only in small sections. A couple of expletives and it was done (ish).

9. Beautiful very well done!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Juncosa View Post
    The real PITA was the baseboard which they put in BEFORE the floor, so it was about 0.25" lower and behind the flooring. They covered all that up with a toe/quarter round so it looked like it was done correctly (flooring first, baseboard on top of that.)
    That's exactly the issue in my house remodel! I seen at Lowe's a baseboard that is meant to go over existing baseboard. Tall, square and goes well with my colors which are similar to yours. Only thing is they stick out from the wall 7/8" and so at doors I think it might look funny meeting the smaller door trim. So I thought about going over that trim as well so it matches, but now the project is getting pretty large. Still I like the look of the larger trims in your pics a lot, so maybe I'll do it.