Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tiny Mortise and Tenon

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Mitered half laps.

And how do mortise and tenons look any different from regular half laps when observed from the front of the frame?
    It is a frame ... but a standalone "frame" viewed from all sides, similar to a sheet-music stand. I would consider bridle joints for the ends, but I'm less enthusiastic for parts that join in a "T" fashion where the bridle really has to go on the outside of the rail (top of the T). I'm really looking for a production tenon cutting tool ... and ideally one that already has tenons available (Domino) or that can be easily fabricated.

There are lots of great ideas posted here and I appreciate all the thoughts. Today after a few chores, I am hoping to get out to the shop and experiment. First thing I would like to try is to setup the Domino like the referenced post. That seems like a versatile setup. I also reached out to John about the HRM which also looks exceptionally versatile.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    (bridle joints are) My favored joint for door frames.
    Glenn ... your work with bridle joints is really stellar and was one of the first things I thought of when considering this. What do you do with a frame that has more than two rails? So the captive rails.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Bill, thanks for referencing that "fixed position" Domino jig setup. It has my mind thinking about something a client asked me to spec out making for her yesterday.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

To mortise, you can use a dremel with a base. There are high-end precision dremel base, one from Lee Valley.
    Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    That could work! I was actually just measuring those in the shop (C O L D) ... but then does anyone use the Domino for mortises on the ends of pieces 8mm by say 30mm? It feels like an operation where I'd want a fixed tool rather than a portable one.
    Just a thought... Leave the stock thick, more then twice the thickness that you need and make your Domino cuts, then resaw and plane the remaining side to final thickness. Eliminates the thin stock issue while using the Domino.

I used to use a 1/4" one from Onsrud think it was called CRO 285. They are upcut spiral and work excellent, extremely sharp. they were made for them at the time 1" of cutting length.