Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Add tooling. But what?

Blog Entries

Add tooling. But what?

I'm asking for opinions as to what hand or power toil to add to what I have.
    Currently I own a 12" compact miter saw, a small drum sander, a small basic table saw, and a Grisley 0766.
    My workshop had to be moved to Spring and probable it will not be used til warmer weather so I can move it to the 16" door and place fans behind me.
    I also have 2 power sanders, cheap ones. A square sheet unit and a 5" orbital.
    But I have about $150-200 set aside to add to this.
    I'd like to try making pieces such as chopping blocks, end table or something along that line so I can make a free style piece.
    I've mentioned before that I have some skill in carving and others with detail, but they are skills that I think came with the package. They need practicing and mentoring.
    I bought a Stanley plane but it is very small and I have some 4" kiln dried walnut in mind but don't know what to make yet.
    What would members suggest?
    A better plane or a plane for another purpose? Or is there something else on the market at that price that would get the most use?

whats a 766?

I would suggest whatever tool could help you the most on your upcoming projects. I would start with deciding what you are going to build and then decide what you need to buy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    whats a 766?

22" swing Grizzly lathe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Mac View Post
    I would suggest whatever tool could help you the most on your upcoming projects. I would start with deciding what you are going to build and then decide what you need to buy.
    Yeah, I know. Unfortunately there's that.

Clamps....

What’s unfortunate about it? Decide your next project, buy appropriate tools. If you’re going to make cutting boards, good clamps are a necessity.

Do you have a jointer and planer yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    I'm asking for opinions as to what hand or power toil to add to what I have.
    A bandsaw, even an inexpensive used one, can benefit almost any kind of woodworking.

For me back in the day when I started up, I knew that to do some decent woodworking, I needed to start with dimensioned lumber that was flat and square.

My first purchase was a TS, then I got a small jointer to get my wood flat one face. This can also be acomplished with a number 7 plane (rob cosmons rough to ready method). My next purchase was a small planer makita 12 back in 87 and still have it and gave it to my son. Next was a bandsaw which is a great tool

I have assembled my shop over many years (30) and I would save my pennies and get one tool a year (wife blessed) and it worked ok.

watch craigslists (searchtempest.com) for old tools to pop up. Be patient. I got an old old bandsaw for a couple hundred that way. My son picked up some great old handplanes for 20 - 30 bucks in flea markets.

Be patient, but I'd start with getting your lumber flat and square and go from there.

Cheers and good luck.

Since you have a lathe maybe a chainsaw.
    Bill

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Since you have a lathe maybe a chainsaw.
    Bill
    I have a gas saw and a corded electric saw.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    A bandsaw, even an inexpensive used one, can benefit almost any kind of woodworking.
    Considered that, John. But that price would not get me a very good one and i'm really looking for something that will get me through winter.
    But, you are right, I could rough out the shape of whatever I decide to make.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Hankins View Post
    For me back in the day when I started up, I knew that to do some decent woodworking, I needed to start with dimensioned lumber that was flat and square.

My first purchase was a TS, then I got a small jointer to get my wood flat one face. This can also be acomplished with a number 7 plane (rob cosmons rough to ready method). My next purchase was a small planer makita 12 back in 87 and still have it and gave it to my son. Next was a bandsaw which is a great tool

I have assembled my shop over many years (30) and I would save my pennies and get one tool a year (wife blessed) and it worked ok.

watch craigslists (searchtempest.com) for old tools to pop up. Be patient. I got an old old bandsaw for a couple hundred that way. My son picked up some great old handplanes for 20 - 30 bucks in flea markets.

Be patient, but I'd start with getting your lumber flat and square and go from there.

Cheers and good luck.
    Another good idea, but I have on hand quite a bit of kiln dried and planed dementional oak and walnut.

If you're uncertain about which tools would best support the kind of work you're doing currently or are wanting to do, then maybe the best way to get started would be to invest a little of your $$ to get a little additional knowledge on that particular related topic. Maybe buy a book or video (if your local library or YouTube doesn't have what you're looking for), take a class at a local school, join a woodworking club or organization in your area, get a magazine subscription, etc., etc.

The point is, the more you find out about the types of projects that your'e interested in building and in the many different ways that different woodworkers go about making their version of those projects (try searching on box making sometime, picture frames, or cabinets), the better of an idea that you'll get for how you'll want to go about doing those things and the types of tools that you'd be interested in spending the money on.

At your stated price point I would suggest a combo router kit.