Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adapter to combine 3.5 mm left & right male speaker output to 3.5mm female stereo

Blog Entries

Adapter to combine 3.5 mm left & right male speaker output to 3.5mm female stereo

My computer has left and right 3.5 mm female outputs for speakers that use 3.5 mm male plugs. My speakers have a 3.5 mm stereo male plug. I've looked high and low for an adapter to combine the left and right audio out into a single stereo 3.5 mm female socket so I can connect my speakers and get stereo. Anyone know of a place to get such an adapter.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Try the big-box electronics stores or Amazon...since Radio Shack went to the "great retail oasis in the sky", it's harder and harder to find "doo-dads" for adapting like that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I found the connectors I needed at Radio Shack .... not even sure if their still in business.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    My computer has left and right 3.5 mm female outputs for speakers that use 3.5 mm male plugs. My speakers have a 3.5 mm stereo male plug. I've looked high and low for an adapter to combine the left and right audio out into a single stereo 3.5 mm female socket so I can connect my speakers and get stereo. Anyone know of a place to get such an adapter.

Ebay is your friend, however you will look at a thousand pictures before you find what you need. Typing in search box is almost useless.

I found the connectors I needed at Radio Shack .... not even sure if their still in business.

Tim
    They are not...
    --

Might be a software setting in the computer to output audio as Mono?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Might be a software setting in the computer to output audio as Mono?
    No, the computer has left and right speaker output jacks in the back.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Paul, that is the closest thing I've seen yet.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

Lee Schierer,

I'm confused on this one. Every computer with integrated sound I've ever seen, uses a standard coded output. The stereo output is a single, pale green 3.5mm jack. That is to say, that one jack carries both L and R channels. If you're using a pair of the typical computer satellite speakers that sit on either side of the monitor, that will run a single lead having a matching pale green jack on it that simply plugs into the on board pale green connection. That will run via single lead to one speaker that has the on/off and that master speaker will have a lead to the other speaker. This has been standard a long time.

If there is a row of various colored jacks, it's probably for surround sound. If you have a dedicated, plug in sound card- PCI or PCIe, it may have separate L and R outputs, but these are mostly RCA jacks. I use a ASUS Essence STX PCIe - strictly stereo + a headphone amplifier and that has RCA's. That goes out RCA L & R into a single female 3.5mm- a Y adapter. That connects via a single, pale green jack to a subwoofer /amplifier. (Logitech z2300 2.1 system) By the way, these Logitech 2.1 systems are really good. I use the z2300 for the computer and a z533 for the television and both of those have a wire remote with on/off an volume, plus a headphone jack. Very convenient when the sound has to be muted to answer the phone. I've given a couple of the z313 systems- that also has the wired remote control- to friends and family.

Computer sound is important but the variety of connector /adapters is dizzying. If it's not solved and not too much trouble, can you post a picture of the outputs on the computer and of the speaker connections?

Alan Caro

Blog Entries
    Here are the jacks on the back of the computer. The plug in the pink jack is the microphone.
    20180105_152832.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

That's interesting Lee...no computer I've ever owned or worked on had separate left/right outputs like that in recent memory. I think I'd find the components to make up my own "Y" adapter if you can't find something pre-made. You might also be creative with combining different plug types. For example, you may be able to get a 3.5mm stereo to L/R RCA and then use RCA to male 3.5mm mono adapters into the PC.
    --

Rogerssystems.com have the greatest gamut of adapters I've found.

When it comes to cables and adapters, Monoprice is pretty hard to beat and their prices on HDMI, Ethernet and such? It tells me what the markup is at Staples, Best Buy and the like.

Lee, that looks like a standard sound card setup to me. I see a Green jack on the left with the symbol showing an outward pointing arrow. That's a stereo output. On the right is a Blue jack with an inward pointing arrow. That's a stereo line level input. I don't think you need an adapter.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by David L Morse; 01-06-2018 at 8:29 AM. Reason: color blind!
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.