Thread: Finally hung my "new" shop lights.

Blog Entries

Finally hung my "new" shop lights.

I bought these a while ago at "Reuse Emporium", which liquidates stuff and does consignment sales. They formerly hung in Shipwreck Tavern, where I shot many a game of pool in my younger days. Yes- I posted when I bought these over a year ago, and only just now got around to hanging them. In order to facilitate hanging them in my shop with exposed beams, I made them into one big long fixture, which I felt would look better than blocking in something to hang them all individually.

They put out a good bit of light with 60w (equivalent) LED bulbs. I will probably step up to 75. I was afraid it would be too bright. I still have two other LED accent lights to wire up, so I will wait and see once those are in.

I like the industrial look, and I love how the fresnel globes spread light. Second pic is showing the shadow holding my hand about 6" from the bench. No major shadows. The accent lights will fill that in even more. For carving, I have a separate light I can use when I want a defined shadow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Look good. Kitchen designers would kill for them.

Very classy addition to your shop and it's nice they carry nice memories for you, too. And hey...they actually work now that you have electricity back! What's not to like about that?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Very classy addition to your shop and it's nice they carry nice memories for you, too. And hey...they actually work now that you have electricity back! What's not to like about that?
    I am still walking into rooms in the dark, forgetting that I can flip the magical switch and have lights!

I believe I remember you saying you are restoring an old home. You can appreciate my challenges. The stone outer walls make any added wiring a task. Also homes here in the early days were not built square, but rather were built to suit whatever shape of the lot they were on. My shop has one wall angled one way, and another a different way. The corners are not 90 degrees. It made hanging this fixture a challenge- which wall do I line it up with? I chose the obvious- make it align to the bench, which is lined up with the outside wall, but it still looks off when you view it the other way. The walls are only 15 degrees from 90.

Very nice.

How about a peak at the cabinet behind the bench, inquiring minds and all.....

The oldest part of our home dates to the 1750s, Malcolm, and it's 18" thick limestone. So I do understand your challenges, although I have found alternative routes for the LAN wiring that don't involve the outer walls which are plastered inside.

I agree with your alignment for the lights. While it would likely bother my anal self a lot in the beginning, hopefully I'd get used to that! (I'm continually shifting things like my workbench literally "millimeters" because my eyes sometimes say it got knocked out of alignment with other things. LOL

And yea...I can imagine there's a little learning curve to get back into the habit of switching on the lights for you and your family!
    --

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Hillestad View Post
    Very nice.

How about a peak at the cabinet behind the bench, inquiring minds and all.....
    When I get home I will. Wait- found one in my phone. It was a jewelry display cabinet (from a local store) that I repurposed.
    IMG_1553.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The oldest part of our home dates to the 1750s, Malcolm, and it's 18" thick limestone. So I do understand your challenges, although I have found alternative routes for the LAN wiring that don't involve the outer walls which are plastered inside.

I agree with your alignment for the lights. While it would likely bother my anal self a lot in the beginning, hopefully I'd get used to that! (I'm continually shifting things like my workbench literally "millimeters" because my eyes sometimes say it got knocked out of alignment with other things. LOL

And yea...I can imagine there's a little learning curve to get back into the habit of switching on the lights for you and your family!
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I am still walking into rooms in the dark, forgetting that I can flip the magical switch and have lights!

I believe I remember you saying you are restoring an old home. You can appreciate my challenges. The stone outer walls make any added wiring a task. Also homes here in the early days were not built square, but rather were built to suit whatever shape of the lot they were on. My shop has one wall angled one way, and another a different way. The corners are not 90 degrees. It made hanging this fixture a challenge- which wall do I line it up with? I chose the obvious- make it align to the bench, which is lined up with the outside wall, but it still looks off when you view it the other way. The walls are only 15 degrees from 90.
    We are much alike. 1mm off alignment of the bench and I just can't work. I think that's why we make good woodworkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    We are much alike. 1mm off alignment of the bench and I just can't work. I think that's why we make good woodworkers.
    Things like this drive Professor Dr. SWMBO mad...I and my younger daughter are somewhat anal about things like this. The Professor isn't
    --