Thread: NJ Turners - favor to ask

NJ Turners - favor to ask

Are there any Creekers in Central NJ or Eastern PA who'd be willing to let me take a test drive of one of the following models?

Robust American Beauty
    Robust Sweet 16
    Laguna REVO 18-36 220v
    Laguna REVO 24-36
    Powermatic 3520B
    Powermatic 3520C

Also, I realize that these are apples and oranges comparisons, but I'd like to taste both to know if oranges is what I really want or whether apples will be just fine for how often I actually eat fruit.

PM me if you are able.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 01-04-2018 at 11:57 AM.

2. Great idea, Prashun! I have turned on 11 different 3520b's and when I bought my G0766, I could have easily gotten one, but even though I like the 3520b, I went with the G0766 because it had more motor [3 hp] and more distance between centers [I still like to do flat work, and wanted that length for spindle like bed posts or table legs, plus the longer distance allows me to put a steady rest and hollowing rig on the bed without having to take the tailstock off the lathe]
    Only you know what will be a fit for you, but get the most lathe you can and feel good about, so good luck with your test drives and shopping!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

When I was debating between an American Beauty and a Sweet 16, I called Robust and they helped me find local owners so I could see both in person.

I had one of my students buy the G0766 as it is a good buy. I have tried it but I do not believe it has any more power than my 3520b.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Bill Blasic View Post
    I had one of my students buy the G0766 as it is a good buy. I have tried it but I do not believe it has any more power than my 3520b.
    Bill, in no way am I disputing your statement here....you are a knowledgeable and experienced turner.
    I have cored on a 3520b and on my G0766, and I have also cored on my friends Robust American Beauty 3 hp motor, and I could stall the 3520b a bit easier than my 0766. I also stalled the AB, so any lathe can have too heavy a cut. I like the 3520b, and recommend it to any turner, and appreciate it’s weight which is a little more than the G0766. I have maxed out the 22” swing capacity on my 0766 with more than one blank, and it handled it well. One blank was really heavy, and was nearly 100 lbs, and the 0766 did great.
    Each of us has our own perspective, and either the 3520b or the 0766 will certainly do the job, as you know. I am not recommending our OP get the G0766 over the 3520b.....each turner has to decide what they want, but the value and performance are certainly there with the G0766. I wanted the longer bed, and 3hp motor, so went with the 0766. Likely not a better value for a large, well performing lathe on the market than the G0766. I am certainly happy with mine, but still want a Robust AB!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!