Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 phase setup for sanding bowls.

3 phase setup for sanding bowls.

In a previous thread a Creeker asked about angle drills for sanding. I suggested using a 3 phase motor, a controller and flex shaft. A friend of mine has been sanding with one for a couple years. Here’s some pictures of his setup. He has a chuck on the end but I would use a quick connect for driver bits. Much smaller and less likely to scare a bowl or the user’s arm.
    582E2282-A1AD-4484-B783-2F8BCEFB1F22.jpg 445FB800-8505-4545-BDBA-84DDADC45F90.jpg 80099B21-5D0D-4B1A-AE33-ABDE9933330D.jpg
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    In a previous thread a Creeker asked about angle drills for sanding. I suggested using a 3 phase motor, a controller and flex shaft. A friend of mine has been sanding with one for a couple years. Here’s some pictures of his setup. He has a chuck on the end but I would use a quick connect for driver bits. Much smaller and less likely to scare a bowl or the user’s arm.
    80099B21-5D0D-4B1A-AE33-ABDE9933330D.jpg
    Do you know more about the sanding "ball", is it something available to buy or purpose made, sandpaper cut from a standard disk then secured by some means? Almost looks like a disk of wood. Some flexible backing inside?

Great idea, that should have a lot of uses.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Do you know more about the sanding "ball", is it something available to buy or purpose made, sandpaper cut from a standard disk then secured by some means? Almost looks like a disk of wood. Some flexible backing inside?

Great idea, that should have a lot of uses.
    John the inflatable mandrel is part of the sanding kit at Klingspoor. Here a url.

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/kx11360/

I am curious. Is there any advantage over a Foredom flexible shaft style using the same sanding ball. I own a couple of Foredoms but I have never considered using them for sanding bowl interiors.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Frank View Post
    I am curious. Is there any advantage over a Foredom flexible shaft style using the same sanding ball. I own a couple of Foredoms but I have never considered using them for sanding bowl interiors.
    Don, I personally would not use a ball sander on a bowl. This gentleman has years of experience sanding bowls that were cut using a scollsaw. He would cut ovals on a bevel. The glue them in a stack. He also has a number of other inflatables to use if needed. All my sanding is done with a disk. He used a Guinevere sanding unit. He could only sand 20 minutes and had to let the motor cool. This unit will sand all day nonstop. It has a 1/2 hp motor.

Where did he get the flex shaft??? I am looking, and thinking for starters, I could drive it off of my 1 hp mini lathe.

As for the Foredom set up, they tell you it can run a 3 inch disc. While I would think it can, I also think that is over stressing the set up. With the 3 phase set up up above, you could run 3 to 6 inch discs.

robo hippy

Those ball shaped sleeves go for more than $3 per sleeve. They better last a long time to be cost competitive. But I see no reason why standard 2" or 3" disks wouldn't work with the same set-up. Also David Reed Smith has an article on making your own sanding balls.
    http://www.davidreedsmith.com/articl...ballsander.htm

Reed, from the photo of the top of the flex shaft it looks like this is probably the flex shaft from Garrett Wade. It costs about $40. I think the Foredoms are about twice that.

I'd love to have his setup but guess that it's pretty pricey.

Cheers,
    David

Look on line and they're a number of flex shafts available all the way up to industrial grade bidirectional ones. I would think one from any of the tool suplliers would work I see some are 3/8" shafts. I would like the ones with the smaller chuck on them.

Quote Originally Posted by David Gilbert View Post
    Reed, from the photo of the top of the flex shaft it looks like this is probably the flex shaft from Garrett Wade. It costs about $40. I think the Foredoms are about twice that.

I'd love to have his setup but guess that it's pretty pricey.

Cheers,
    David
    http://www.garrettwade.com/flex-shaft-with-chuck.html
    These are ok, if the spin is in the right direction. Decent size, decent price.

Coupled with this
    http://www.garrettwade.com/multi-ang...3-AC3C94D7C0AA

to get the angle, if you are using a flat disc. You want a handle to control the direction.

or one of these
    https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-49-.../dp/B000BYEJ02
    to get into smaller spaces

If I wanted a rig like that I would look at industrial sewing machine servo mtartotors. Single phase and they have a built in controller for setting the speed. The cost starts at about $100, if you go this route, skip the electronoic version of speed control, go for the knob.

How does one connect the flex shaft to the shaft of the motor? Is there some kind of collet I can't see? I have a couple extra motors sitting around.... now my wheels are turning but I don't know anything about flex shafts.... how do they connect to the motor?

Most use a connector with two set screws our a Jacobs chuck with a set screw.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Balzonia View Post
    How does one connect the flex shaft to the shaft of the motor? Is there some kind of collet I can't see? I have a couple extra motors sitting around.... now my wheels are turning but I don't know anything about flex shafts.... how do they connect to the motor?

Shaft couplers or U-joints
    ex. https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...nt/A-p8649345e

Flex shaft ends are usually square. so drill and tap end of the coupler, put a set screw or two to hold the shaft.

I have no idea of the 'duty cycle' your friend applies to this rig, which looks "epic cool" (humor me; trying to be more 'millennial' for my sons ), but I'd recommend he re-orient the VFD so the faceplate is vertical. It allows proper convective air flow over the VFD's heat sinks.