Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MFT table top type of work - custom

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

MFT table top type of work - custom

Hello Forum,
    Is there anybody who would be able to CNC a table top (Baltic Birch) with 20mm bench dog holes (like MFT top)? Anybody who has gone this route? Any reputable CNC services company in MA? The table top should be 2x5. Thanks

It's easy to make a jig to make these tops accurately yourself with a router. Watch Timothy Wilmot's bench video on YouTube...a simple tee-square with 30mm holes spaced at 96mm increments down the centerline for a 30mm guide bushing and the "tee" being the exact width to put the centerline from the previous row exactly 96mm over for the next row. You set it up to start 77mm from the corner in both directions. A 20mm router bit is relatively inexpensive, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

For a one off you might find someone reasonable at: https://100kgarages.com/ Anyone with a CNC can cut that if you give them a DXF file. The trick is finding someone willing to do it near you. It would be about 10-30min of machine time depending on what machine they have so there is not a lot of money in it for them.

There are a few jigs out there that help you drill or rout those holes. I thought Woodpeckers had one but I couldn't find it on their site. Lee Valley has one of their own and also carries one called the Parf System.

If you want one CNC'd, the only recommendation I can make is in CT - Parkerville Wood Products near Hartford.

Good luck.

Another fairly low cost jig is by Woodrave. I bought one to make several Christmas presents. Worked very well.

no affiliation with them, just a customer.

http://woodrave.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html

I will also report favorable results for the Woodrave jig. I did not expect the holes to be square enough to use for a squaring jig but they are. I used HD pegboard that didn't seem all that accurate. I think the secret if the pegboard has inaccuracies but over the 8 feet length, not the shorter lengths I am typically measuring and building. I don't have an 8 foot square. All my squares say the holes are square.

I'd buy a MFT top from festool and use it as a template to route out the holes with a 20mm router bit. Then use 20mm parf dogs to index the top to the next set of holes.

Word of warning, CNC machines can be "out of square", especially the bolt together ones. I have an older ShopBot and it's out maybe 1/16" in 4'. Not enough to matter for what I use it for so I haven't gotten around to squaring it up. Just don't assume that because it's drilled on a CNC that the rows and columns of holes are square to each other, especially if somebody with a hobby level machine does the job for you.

Good point. I think I will get the Parf system and call the day

That is a possibility, I wish the table top was not $140 min. It would be nice to have a 1x1 square jig. Bench dogs are on their way!!! Thanks

Jim, see my message above. Thanks for your help. Interesting that you could use it exactly for squaring table.

I looked into this, however I read a lot about people struggling with aligned peg boards. It is a great idea but it relays on no so grate material that you need to be sure is perfectly manufactured. I got a little scared on spending time on the right peg board. Quality at the big box store is very poor as far as the measurement tool I buy there
    Thanks for your valuable suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Evans View Post
    There are a few jigs out there that help you drill or rout those holes. I thought Woodpeckers had one but I couldn't find it on their site.
    Good luck.
    The woodpeckers kit was a "one time tool" offering.

https://www.woodpeck.com/hole-boring-jig.html
    Frankie

I have a great Border Collie, she just can't hold her licker!

Laura, thanks for raising this topic. I want to do a similar project.

To Frank and Brian, the Woodpeckers one-time-tool deadline passed in November; deliveries to commence in February. Made me think, "no harm in asking...". I just visited the link above (works dandy), called them, and placed an order.

I'm a happy camper.

BobV
    Last edited by Bob Vallaster; 01-04-2018 at 2:56 PM. Reason: typos

That is great! What is the new dead line? Which items did you buy? Why did you feel that it was better than Parf system? Do you have Veritas benchdog? Tx