Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: We're Old Men (Mostly) so Let's Discuss Weather.....

The forecasters in the area have been predicting 14" - 31" of snow later today......until yesterday. Now they are saying we will get 2" - 4" of snow accumulation. The originally predicted "white death" inspired a run on hardware stores and grocers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    The forecasters in the area have been predicting 14" - 31" of snow later today......until yesterday. Now they are saying we will get 2" - 4" of snow accumulation. The originally predicted "white death" inspired a run on hardware stores and grocers.
    Rich, it's funny how different areas view different weather systems.

I was at a BMW rally in the US and we were sitting around the campfire when I hear from the other side "Go ask Rod, he's sitting over there, he's from there".

I was thinking it was going to be a discussion on healthcare, and I had a sinking feeling, instead the gentleman came over, introduced himself, and asked how I could possibly choose to live in a country that had so many snowstorms. ( He was from Louisiana).

I realized that he probably had never experienced a large snow storm so I said "well, when we get a big storm, the schools and many businesses close, and I stay at home watching the snow fall and the birds in the feeder, with a nice warm mug of tea. After it stops snowing, I get the blower out, clean out my drive and a few for my elderly neighbours, and the local kids are out making snow forts, snowmen or having a snow ball fight..

I have no idea how you can live in place where a storm blows your house into your neighbours pool, all I have to do is shovel snow, not build a new house."

He thought about it for a moment and said " Yes, but it snows and it's cold where you live"

Made me think that we really fear what we don't understand, in my case tropical storms since we don't normally have those where I live. I guess I'm accustomed to the "white death" and just don't travel during those events.

Today it's +11 and raining like crazy with the ground frozen solid, later today it's forecasted to go to -12. what a screwy winter.............Rod

Yesterday 72 F; today forecast 77 F. You Yankees have a good time, y'hear!

I can live without sledding, slipping and sliding.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

My old weather station quit working so I picked up another one that was close to what I had for 10 years. The outdoor temp was off by 4 to 5 % they specs said that it should be + or - 2 degrees so I called tech support. They told me that the 4% was acceptable when I said + or - - 2 % is not 4%. I took that one back and got a different brand and that one was off 6% when it was -5% here. I called them and they also said that that was acceptable. I am checking these with 3 mercury thermometers and one was for checking freezers that I bought from the state department that inspects coolers and freezers. Why is plus or minus 2% equal to 4% one way.

Just before it snowed (less than one inch) our local forecaster predicted between zero and 31" of snow to fall. He believes in playing it safe.