Thread: Pullout Question

Pullout Question

I'm doing something a little different this time for a pantry for a kitchen job I'm on. Customer wanted only drawers in the pantry but asked if the drawers could be adjusted for height. I got the bigger Domino last year and this is the first real use on a job other than playing around with it. Gotta say - I thank goodness I ended up getting the DF700 after all that angst as to which to get. I cut all 4 vertical supports at one time by clamping them together - found the dead center of the board - used the detents on the base to space the 12 mm holes. Then I just cut the slide mount boars perfectly to length - clamped the slide support boards together 3 at a time and used the same depth from the ends to make the holes for the dominos after clamping them vertical in a vice. Worked perfectly with the alignment. Man that Domino is accurate.

Now for my question. How do you guys make your pullout drawers - especially the front so you have some sort of pull without buying hardware?

Sorry for the orientation on the pictures. Can't figure out how to flip upright. (Look at your photos in a regular photo viewer such as Adobe Photo Shop, before posting them to fix the orientation)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 01-04-2018 at 8:27 AM. Reason: fixed photos

This is how I make them. No need for pulls, you simply grasp the top of the tray fronts.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Pics rotated
    Last edited by scott vroom; 01-03-2018 at 12:16 PM.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

well dang it how'd you do that. I'd like to learn something new.

That's pretty slick - neat use of the Domino.

The client will still have to disengage the drawer slides/remove the drawer. But I guess it's a more "tool-less" approach than unscrewing/screwing drawer slides into predrilled holes.

Very clever, Rick-- but how does anybody use a drawer that is above eye level?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Alexander View Post
    well dang it how'd you do that. I'd like to learn something new.
    It helps to view your photos in a regular photo viewer or photo editing software before posting. Typically photos taken with a cell phone or a camera will orient according to how the phone or camera was held when the photo was taken. Here is a good thread discussing the problem
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 01-04-2018 at 8:38 AM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    When I built the pantry for our house, I purchased off the shelf adjustable slide mounts from Woodworker Supply. They worked well. The trays were mounted on soft close full extension slides capable of 100#. The trays are 24" deep and you simply grab the tray to pull them out.
    IMG_0404.jpgIMG_0405.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I used those very same slides, Lee.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Fantastic idea. Love it.

I like to shape the front of my rollouts.

IMG_8641.jpg
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    It helps to view your photos in a regular photo viewer or photo editing software before posting. Typically photos taken with a cell phone or a camera will orient according to how the phone or camera was held when the photo was taken. Here is a good thread discussing the problem
    You can also open the pic in a web browser if you don't have photo viewing or editing software. Click File -> Open, select the pic file and the pic should appear. Of course to change the orientation you'd need editing software.