Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need a tenon saw.

I need a tenon saw.

So I have been a bit smitten while watch Peter Seller's ! So I would like to enter into some further hand tool work. But I am in need of a tenon saw and would appreciate some suggestions that would not break the bank!
    Thanks!

I've come to really like a Gyokucho 240mm ryoba for tenon-saw tasks. It is the cheapest new option, I think, and cuts fast and cleanly. Plus, you get a crosscut/carcass saw at the same time.

For western saws, LN and LV are probably the best options available for reasonable money.

Used tenon saws are cheap and easy to find, usually. If they are nice and straight they are usually not difficult to restore, since they are rip teeth and fairly easy to file.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Norton View Post
    So I have been a bit smitten while watch Peter Seller's ! So I would like to enter into some further hand tool work. But I am in need of a tenon saw and would appreciate some suggestions that would not break the bank!
    Thanks!
    The Veritas tenon saws (sold at leevalley.com) are probably your best value for a decent new western-style tenon saw. You can spend (and get) more (Bad Axe saws are wonderful), but the Veritas saws are certainly serviceable and quite friendly for a beginner. Their filing trades a bit of speed for ease in starting the saw, which I think is a good trade for someone who is just getting into hand tools.

Paul Sellers has in the past recommended the Veritas 14 tpi Standard Dovetail Saw as a good general purpose tenon saw. If you search his blog posts you can probably find his discussion of this saw.

Woops: Edit to "Paul" Sellers. Thanks. :-)
    Last edited by Rush Paul; 01-02-2018 at 1:06 PM.

I've been collecting saws a long time, and in my experience, almost all tenon saws that are found have cross cut teeth, not rip teeth as Robert suggests above. What sort of work do you want to do with it? Clearly I'm biased, but hard to argue the value and comfort of a vintage tool.

Happy New Year,

Pete

Blog Entries
    I have Lie Nielsen saws that I bought about 25 years ago. I kept them in their boxes and they are still shiny with no corrosion.

I can't imagine any saw is better. I have sharpened them. They cut fast and straight. I also have a Ron Bontz saw that I made from a kit.
    It is as good as the Lie Nielsen saws.

AS the old saying goes, "Buy an expensive tool and cry when you pay for it, buy a cheap tool and cry every time you use it."
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 01-02-2018 at 9:24 AM.

I liked Peter Sellers in Revenge of the Pink Panther but don't recall him using any saws.

For Western saws, if you want to purchase brand new, the best "budget" option is the Veritas line.
    A decent used saw - that has been rehabilitated - will likely cost as much or more than the Veritas.
    Also, be sure that you are talking about a 'tenon saw'. These are larger saws designed to cut deeper tenon cheeks.
    A more useful "first" saw IMHO was a smaller, carcass saw.

If you are willing to try a Japanese saw, I second the recommendation to get a Ryoba. These get you two saws (rip and cross cut) for the price of one. Because they are backless, they are also appropriate for deeper tenons that might hit the back of a comparably sized Western saw. The Ryoba will allow you to cut cheeks and shoulders with a single saw. The stance, though, is completely different than using a Western saw.

Not saying one is better. Either work superbly but both require practice
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 01-02-2018 at 10:35 AM.

Blog Entries
    In order to not break your bank, we must first know how big your bank is! If you have the money, I highly recommend Lie-Nielsen. They are an excellent saw that will last a few lifetimes. I bought my saws all based on finding the best deal, and guess what- I ended up with mostly Lie-Nielsen saws. They were the best bang for the buck. You can look for a used one, but they typically go for only about 10% less than a new one.

If you don't have that kind of money, then look for something used. Used saws are usually just as good as a new one, assuming there are no kinks or missing teeth. Learn to sharpen and you can turn an old dull saw into a great saw. Of course Diston is the one most folks look for, but that also means the prices are going to be higher.

Lee Valley (Veritas) makes a great tenon saw for the price. They get very good reviews. I have not used them, but have used their other saws and they are very well made, especially for the price point. They probably have the best bang for your buck in the saw department. Personally I'm not a huge fan of their backs, but they serve the purpose well.

If your bank is really large, and you want the best of the best, I recommend Ron Bontz's saws. Not only is he an amazing craftsman, but he really stands behind his product, and he is a great guy to do business with. I have his half-back saw and it's my favorite saw I own.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hazelwood View Post
    I've come to really like a Gyokucho 240mm ryoba for tenon-saw tasks. It is the cheapest new option, I think, and cuts fast and cleanly. Plus, you get a crosscut/carcass saw at the same time.

For western saws, LN and LV are probably the best options available for reasonable money.

Used tenon saws are cheap and easy to find, usually. If they are nice and straight they are usually not difficult to restore, since they are rip teeth and fairly easy to file.
    Agree. I am quite fond of my 240mm Gyokucho.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I liked Peter Sellers in Revenge of the Pink Panther but don't recall him using any saws.
    Dr Strangelove was a lot better (and still my favorite movie FWIW). Being There was also magnificent.

I have a 14" No. 4 Disston....filed rip because I also use it for box joints and dovetails. I have had it sharpened once, replaced the handle with a proper one....might have...$20 total in the saw. Has been my go-to saw for all the joinery I do. Have a few vintage crosscut saws, like either the 8ppi D-8, and a D-112.
    Large rip saw is a 6 ppi IMP saw. Mitre Box saws are all Disston No. 4s....I have been known to use the Langdon 75 to do repeated shoulder cuts.

It IS the OP's money....unless others want to buy the big ticket saws for him....maybe find a vintage 18" backsaw ( or two..) and have that sharpened up for use. I usually find a lot of backsaws, 12-28" in length while out on my rust hunts. Just "picked" a 4 x 24" No.4 for...$5....

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Taran View Post
    I've been collecting saws a long time, and in my experience, almost all tenon saws that are found have cross cut teeth, not rip teeth as Robert suggests above. What sort of work do you want to do with it? Clearly I'm biased, but hard to argue the value and comfort of a vintage tool.

Happy New Year,

Pete
    Well said.

I, too, have been using hand saws for a long time. Over the past 6 years, including very recently, I have treated myself to 3 saws from Mike Wenzloff, and just a few weeks ago, a pair of 16" back saws from Bad Axe. They are all absolutely awesome, but also cost about $1000 for the 5.

I also have a pre-1927 Disston 14" back saw that I bought for $25 and restored myself (with a lot of help from Pete's website....Thank You!), and the spring steel is excellent, and it now saws like a dream, just as well as it's expensive cousins.

If a couple hours of work doesn't shy you away, a vintage saw may be just the thing for you to get started and learning. You will need to learn how to file your saws, just like you have to sharpen your chisels and hand planes, so why not learn on a cheaper investment first.

A very well filed 1950 Disston back saw will cut just as straight as a $300 new saw. I personally don't care about things like plate thickness (blasphemy!!) because you're sawing away the waste, anyways. Who cares??????

If you have the money, you can invest in a super nice saw like the above mentioned, or a Bontz saw, too. I had a chance to use one of his recently, and Ron makes a beautiful saw, as well.

On a side note, my $10 Greenlee vintage chisels get just as sharp as a $100 Blue Spruce chisel. The rest is all vanity.
    Jeff

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    Dr Strangelove was a lot better (and still my favorite movie FWIW). Being There was also magnificent.
    Both are great choices. But how about The Party?
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    I admit I have trouble staying awake with Dr Strangelove. The other movie you note I don't recall ever seeing but I'll look for it. This clip typifies what I love and most remember about Peter Sellers in Pink Panther series (RIP).