Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tablesaw blade storage ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post
    I got the inspiration for this one somewhere on the net.
    Attachment 375194Attachment 375195
    That's pretty nice there. Love the trays, but don't understand the need for the slider in addition to them. Is there a need or point to have the whole thing slide out as well as those that I'm not seeing?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Petersen View Post
    That's pretty nice there. Love the trays, but don't understand the need for the slider in addition to them. Is there a need or point to have the whole thing slide out as well as those that I'm not seeing?
    I often parked my Bies fence over the box or had a panel or assembly sitting on the table above the box and thought a little additional extension wouldn't hurt . Since I had a few extra short slides laying around, I decided to use them for added convenience, they really aren't needed.
    Dick Mahany.

These 12" long 3x3s live in a cabinet with other table saw accessories.

20180102_022615.jpg

I clamped a stop to the table saw fence to keep the block centered over the arbor, raised and lowered the blade, flipped the block end for end, raised and lowered the blade again, moved the fence and repeated. Pretty rudimentary.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Since I had a few extra short slides laying around, I decided to use them for added convenience, they really aren't needed.
    Well, there is the added "cool" factor they provide. Anything worth doing is worth overdoing for that.

Wow, you guys have fancy systems set up just to store blades. All I do is throw the blades in a cardboard box next to the table saw.

To clarify, I don't "throw" them.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Petersen View Post
    The drawer slides get the whole box way out of the way when it's not needed. I think that's actually a nice idea. No bumping it with your hips, knees or whatever while operating that saw.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I keep mine in a storage cabinet drawer.

I use an old pizza box to store my spare blade. Sits vertically on a shelf like a record sleeve.
    IMG_20180101_135258.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The drawer slides get the whole box way out of the way when it's not needed. I think that's actually a nice idea. No bumping it with your hips, knees or whatever while operating that saw.
    If it was already under the table, where the slides would slide it to, isn't that already out of the way?

Roy, if you look at the photos, the box is slid out on the slides to make accessing the drawers more convenient. Yes, you could permanently mount it under the table, too. I suspect that the person who made that design didn't want to bend down and look way under to select or store a blade; hence, the slides to bring the box out to where it's more convenient. But I'm "assuming" that from examining the images.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hmm, not seeing it that way. The blade tray slides out from the body in either case, so it's either one tray length out from under the saw (fully exposing the tray and blade), or at full slide length *plus* tray length out from under. Aside from being easier to see if something was on the table or the fence was in the way, I don't see that as obstructing access.
    Fancy. Needs labels visible from the outside, but fancy.

Blog Entries
    I got the inspiration for this one somewhere on the net. It was a fun project and served me well. It went with my Unisaw when I downsized and now regret it. I built it so that it could hold my dado stack blades, but they never made it in to the box for some reason.
    Attachment 375194Attachment 375195
    How about a few more design details? What did you use for the tray bottoms? What was used for the drawer pulls? Is there a dowel in the center of the blade? If there is no dowel, what would you think of an over sized hole in the tray bottom so you could stick your finger in the arbor hole to pick up the blade?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I don't have very many extra blades so I keep them on a pegboard hook on the wall above the saw. I had a few pieces of scrap MDF around so I cut a few squares and drilled 1/2" holes through them and I use them as spacers to keep the blades from banging into each other.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

I own a single Freud 50t combo blade and a Freud Super Dado. That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    How about a few more design details? What did you use for the tray bottoms? What was used for the drawer pulls? Is there a dowel in the center of the blade? If there is no dowel, what would you think of an over sized hole in the tray bottom so you could stick your finger in the arbor hole to pick up the blade?
    1) The tray bottoms were from some assorted thin plywood scraps that I seemed to have many of. As I recall they were around 1/8" nominal thickness but varied a little between pieces depending on what the substrate was to begin with. I simply milled the side dado slots to accommodate the thickest pieces.

2) I used some srcap Padauk cut offs for the handles and simply cut the ends at an angle to ease gripping the pulls. They are simply glued with Titebond III.

3) There is a garden variety dowel from my local orange box store for the blade locator. Also fastened with glue only.

4) An oversize hole near the blade edge is a great idea and I wish I had thought of that! Also, if one was to notch the dowel, the box could then also be stood on end with vertical slides which might be a more useful orientation for space considerations or shelf/cabinet mounting.

5) The box was made from 3/4" ply cut offs and edge banded

6) Lastly, the slide out trays have a little extra length to support the extended tray with blade when slid out for access.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 01-03-2018 at 10:28 AM.
    Dick Mahany.