Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Free woodworking plans

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Tripp View Post
    Hi guys! New to the site and forum and woodworking in general. Had a question.
    Is there any place online that you can grab free detailed woodwoking plans? All of the searches that i have done either direct you to a paid site or the plans seem very lackluster in detail
    Thanks everyone.
    Hi Tracy, I see that you're fairly new to woodworking so you might enjoy the assembly/outfeed table plans that I made and recently published. Honestly, I would love feedback on them as well so I'd be more than happy to give them away for free. Here's a link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9betwpddab...Plans.pdf?dl=0

If you're interested and give them a look, please let me know your opinion on the quality.

Open to feedback from everyone really so if anyone else is interested please feel free to download.

I should disclose that there are affiliate links in the plans.

Tim, I'm curious how you made your plans. There's a lot of detail in them.

I used SketchUp, Photoshop and Google Docs. This was my first go round with SketchUp and I fought it at every turn. My drafting experience is in AutoCad but for 3D I decided to give SketchUp a shot.

Ah... I see. You should give LayOut a try then. It's designed to do the document stuff with your Sketchup models. I think you'd find it a whole lot less work.

Yeah, I used layout. I finished all of the drawings and started documenting and realized that Make is dreadful for that so I grabbed the Pro trial. I am not wild about throwing down $700 for SketchUp in the future. I might do a deep dive into Fusion 360.

From your website it looks like you intend to be selling your plans so if you are using SketchUp, you would be required to use Sketchup Pro which would give you LayOut. If you plan to use Fusion 360, check out their EULA. They also have limitations on using it commercially. You'll also want to see what kind of capability it has for creating documents like plans.

Yeah, Fusion 360 is free for any company that has less than 100k in revenue. This plan is actually supposed to be free. It was listed at $10 because I was using it for testing. Changing that right now! I'll have to figure out what I am going to do in the future. SketchUp has a lot of things I like and a lot of things I really dont.

What don't you like?

I feel like it's unpredictable. I find that when I am going to do something I've done 100 times already, this one time, it behaves completely differently.

I also have so much trouble getting things lined up. It feels like I have to jump through hoops just to get a couple things aligned or centered. If I have to put a part somewhere I end up drawing a bunch of lines so it will snap into place and then I have to go back and delete them.

One time, I was drawing plans to make a cart for my shop vac and dust deputy. I grabbed a dust deputy from the warehouse and, for the life of me, I could not get it placed where I wanted. I could get close just by guessing, but not exact.

There's two possibilities for my frustrations: 1) I simply dont know the program well enough 2) it's not meant to be a precise medium like AutoCAD or Fusion. I know it's probably the former but it just seems like a lot of the simple things are extremely cumbersome and difficult.

I really need to spend more time watching tutorials like yours because I know it's a great program but I am sure that years and years of AutoCAD are probably playing against me right now.

I would have to agree with you that it is the former. There's no reason you can't work with precision in SketchUp. It might be that you could use some help learning to use the Move tool and maybe you need to change some settings such as turning off Length Snapping. Maybe you need to learn about things like setting insertion points, too.

As an example, every last part down to the screws was detailed in this model of the Router Boss. And every part is accurately placed. It wasn't at all difficult to do.
    Even the scales, if printed at full size would be accurate.

Yeah, that line was a bit facetious.

I've seen some of your stuff, and it's amazing. It's really incredible what can be done with the program. I know it's possible, which is causing some of my frustration!

You have a beginner's course, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim M Tuttle View Post
    Yeah, that line was a bit facetious.

I've seen some of your stuff, and it's amazing. It's really incredible what can be done with the program. I know it's possible, which is causing some of my frustration!

You have a beginner's course, right?
    Yes. There's a DVD from Fine Woodworking. It's available through The Taunton Press, Amazon, Woodcraft and Rockler. Maybe Lee Valley, too.

DVD huh? Do you know if it's offered as a download anywhere? I dont even own a DVD player anymore

Yeah. You can get it as a download from the Taunton Press.

Thanks, Dave! I'll be downloading it!