Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust Collector being used as air filtration

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Kocher View Post
    Last time I looked, most of them had vague specifications on performance ie.inadequate filters.

That shiny new one that claims to filter 85% at 2 microns sure looks nice, but I wouldn't want it.

If it specified an effective MERV rating or HEPA, I would reconsider. Are any of the major woodworking manufacturers offering something like that?

Build you own with a good filter at least you know what you got...

I'll restate my belief aswell: that given a finite budget, most will get more bang for their buck spending on collection at source. ie. a 3HP Cyclone > 1.5HP Cylone and Air filter
    A high MERV or HEPA rating on an ambient filter doesn't really have that much effect. There is no well defined "clean side"; the clean air immediately mixes back in with the dirty air.

Filter efficiency affects how long it takes to clean the air not how clean it ultimately gets. A filter with 85% efficiency takes 18% longer than a 100% efficient filter to clean to a given level. Of course you do need a somewhat respectable efficiency, 10% taking 8.5 times longer than 85%.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

But if you are only filtering to 2 micron, you are pumping most of the smaller stuff through again and again...

There is no clean air of the most harmful particles.

That, to me, is ineffective and I wouldn't want it.

Sure you can, it's exactly what I do with my Oneida cyclone.

The trick of course is to capture almost everything at the source, otherwise you need to wear breathing protection as well as run dust extraction.

For the tablesaw, use above and below the blade collection.

I use my cyclone as an air cleaner infrequently as I use a Festool vac for sanding, and the cyclone for everything else.

15 minutes of using the cyclone has the shop air quality much better than outside air, and you won't find dust on shop surfaces.

Don't worry about wearing out your cyclone, you'll never wear it out in hobby use.

Regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Agreed. And also, if you can afford a pricey Oneida cyclone unit you can probably afford an air cleaner which does a much better job, more energy efficient at that.
    I don't agree at all that an air cleaner does a much better job. The Oneida has that best filtration you can buy & moves a ton of air. Open the gates that are farthest from the cyclone & the clean discharge moves the dirty air across the shop the inlets. How is an air cleaner with a 1/3 HP or smaller motor going to do better than that?

There is the energy cost to consider though if you need to run filtration all day long. When I raise a lot of dust cleaning up the shop, I run my V-5000 with an 8" & a 6" gate open at the far end, & it clears the air very quickly.