Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swiss Army Knife settings?

Swiss Army Knife settings?

Has anyone engraved a Swiss Army Knife? I have to do two in about a week and don't want to buy one to test settings on... I assume they are "just plastic" but assuming is always dangerous. I used to have one, but it got confiscated by TSS... the rotten bums.

I am looking for settings to use with either a 25 or 35w Epilog. If you have any experience, I'd really appreciate hearing about it.

Thanks, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

swiss army

I've only ever engraved them with my rotary engraver. Never tried them in the laser. The plastic is a little soft tho, my rotary will melt the plastic instead of cutting if the speed is too fast.
    Epilog Legend 32EX 75W
    Newing Hall Apex 300 & 400 w/power bases
    I always wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.

I usually just mask, use the same setting I would use for masked Romark.
    It usually leaves plastic knife handles/pens/etc. engraved deep enough to colour fill. Without fill, the engraving will be just about invisible..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cunningham View Post
    I usually just mask, use the same setting I would use for masked Romark.
    It usually leaves plastic knife handles/pens/etc. engraved deep enough to colour fill. Without fill, the engraving will be just about invisible..
    Thanks, Bill. I've never used Romark, so I looked around and got mixed results for settings. One person says they use 70sp/100power/600dpi and another says 100 sp/80 power/400 dpi. Any opinion there? This is just for engraving some initials, nothing fancy.

dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

I have lost the settings i used but it was higher than the rowmark settings

aprox 1 mm deep into the handle

engraved nice and clean

This was on the newer models with transparent handles (red)

Bjorn

Dee

I just use my plastic nametag settings and run two passes if needed. You can then color fill this if you choose.

Oops---try this: power 100 and speed 30 on your 35 Watt machine. I imagine you'll want two passes.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 12-05-2010 at 6:58 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thanks, Mike, I was hoping you'd chime in!

dee

Red Coin Mah Jong

Dee,
    I did mine to see how it would come out and just a side note, if the knife is used, i.e. scratched and such, be careful with the rub & buff. It will of course find its way into the minutest of cracks/scratches. But you probably knew that.
    Life and death don't bother me. It's that little period of time in between that bothers me.

Epilog Mini-24 40w with Rotary, Flame Polisher, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6, EngraveSoft, Windows 10 64-bit.

Thanks Greg, these knives are brand new, so no scratches I hope! Did you use Mike's settings? I should be getting these in a few days, so still in planning mode.

For rec, I did some more mugs, rotary is fun!

thanks, dee

Red Coin Mah Jong

Dee

I just estimated your settings based on my Trotec settings and what I think is your raster speed (estimated at 80 ips).

If you have any plastic handy run a test on that as the settings will be very close.

If you intend to colorfill be selective about the fonts as fine lines may not show as well as you'd like.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Gallo View Post
    <snip> Did you use Mike's settings? I should be getting these in a few days, so still in planning mode. <snip>
    I reduced my power output 10% from factory recommended settings and did small ( very small ) print at 600DPI. The problem is there is not a clean cut as with acrylic. It looked more like a small branding iron the first time out, hence the reduction in power. It would be nice if Swiss Army had a white substrate. But.........
    Life and death don't bother me. It's that little period of time in between that bothers me.

Epilog Mini-24 40w with Rotary, Flame Polisher, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X6, EngraveSoft, Windows 10 64-bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Dee

I just estimated your settings based on my Trotec settings and what I think is your raster speed (estimated at 80 ips).

If you have any plastic handy run a test on that as the settings will be very close.

If you intend to colorfill be selective about the fonts as fine lines may not show as well as you'd like.
    Thanks Mike - It's the type of plastic that's giving me fits, I don't know how each type of plastic will act until I try it... and this is not where I want to do any R&D. So I was hoping someone had already done this exact brand of knives. I like to be able to predict exact results when I do a real job, call me compulsive.

I was not going to color fill, but the more I think about it, the more I think I might, maybe white to match the logo.

dee

Red Coin Mah Jong

Try a piece of acrylic. Should be very close.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Put some mask on the acrylic, and start about 60%speed, 100% power, keep decreasing speed until you can get through the mask, at a depth you feel comfortable with filling
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cunningham View Post
    Put some mask on the acrylic, and start about 60%speed, 100% power, keep decreasing speed until you can get through the mask, at a depth you feel comfortable with filling
    Thanks Bill, that sounds like a plan. Just what I needed!

dee

Red Coin Mah Jong