Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mid-Priced Lathe Comparison Shopping Results?

Mid-Priced Lathe Comparison Shopping Results?

OK, here it is, I am looking to upgrade from my old Sears Craftsman lathe to something in the $2,500 to $3,500 range. I have examined various lathe threads and manufacturer data; here are teh candidates:

NOVA Galaxi DVR 1644
    Laguna 18/36 Revo
    JET JWL-1840EVS
    JET JWL-1642 EVS-2 PRO (looks kind of like a Powermatic 3520B, only in white)
    Powermatic PM2020 Short Bed Lathe (20" between centers)

Now, before you all chime in, I know some of you out there cannot stand the thought of a rotating headstock, I am kind of turned off by that as well. I am also looking to be able to push the headstock to either end in case someday I do larger than 16-18" turnings and I cannot afford a full sized PM2520 or a Robust lathe.

OK, although I am soliciting informed feedback, before I mortgage my wife, I have found a couple of somewhat glaring mechanical differences in the above lathes.

1) On the Powermatic, the JET JWL-1840EVS and NOVA Galaxi, there are two sealed ball bearings separated by a spacer on the inboard end of the spindle that seem to provide added load support for the stock being turned. I have reviewed some English lathes and older US lathes and I have found either the double bearings or roller bearings to be common on the heavier duty lathes.

On the JET JWL-2642 EVS-2 PRO, and the Laguna 18/36 REVO, there is only one sealed ball bearing on the inboard end of the spindle to support all of the vibration of the turning; this seems like a failure point to me for turning off balance loads or if you have a serious catch (which is what killed the similar single bearing on my Craftsman lathe - which was a direct drive variable speed lathe but has lots of play in the tailstock, bad calming system for the banjo, tailstock and headstock....)

2) Bed length: Generally, I turn bowls and lidded boxes that are less than 20" long. However, I do use long handled tools so on a short bed like the PM2020, I would need to get the tailstock out of the way half way into a turning to do the hollowing and interior scraping. The PM tailstock is heavy, but being at the outer edge of my price range, I would have to settle for a block and tackle to suspend it away from the lathe bed until I could add the 18" bed extension or tailstock swing away.

3) One EVS controller and three phase motor and seems to be the same as another. I do think I would go with a 220Vac setup with 2HP. You can buy after market repair parts for the Variable Frequency Single Phase to Three Phase controllers and the three phase motors. The NOVA with 115 Vac single phase input and only 1.5HP, has that DVR motor armature that is built onto the spindle and has a proprietary drive and control system. I have heard only good comments on it and no failure comments to date and it is the least expensive of the selections above.

4) Rotating Headstocks in general. These are of limited use to me for now. What I seem to be reading and seeing on You Tube videos is that expert wood turners do not like them because you cannot seem to sufficiently tighten the headstock to the base of the lathe ways to keep all vibration sinked to the lathe base rather than the headstock, and consequently the turning itself. My Craftsman lathe developed a small rattle in the headstock inboard bearing, I thought I could work around it, but when I let a tool go a little too dull and pushed a little too hard, the project shattered (segmented turning). Also, it causes slight surface variations that I spend a lot of time sanding out rather than scraping smooth

between the Nova and the JET JWL-1840EVS, the Nova has a rectangular piece of metal that seems to closely fit between the ways so when you tighten down the headstock, it has more holding surface area, but its still a center point machined washer so any minor lack of flatness in the base will translate to some vibration for non-balanced loads and may exhibit vibration at various RPM frequency harmonics. Even the PM 2520B has this problem to a certain extent and I saw one video where the turning instructor put a folded piece of paper under one corner of the lathe headstock prior to tightening it down to the ways to get rid of the vibration. The JET uses a machined circular washer without a rectangular insert (although it does come with a bolt on insert at the base of the headstock that is there for 'shipping', and is to be removed although some leave it in for additional anti-headstock rotating lathe support.

So, experienced turners:

Are the rotating headstocks on the JET and Nova really that bad?

Is the single inboard ball bearing race really a problem on the Laguna?

Initially a several months ago I was looking at the Nova Galaxi, it seemed a dream machine for the price, nice double bearing in the inboard headstock, and it seemed the banjo and tool rest were adequate. A couple of months ago, I saw the laguna with its 2HP VFS drive system and I really liked the look and feel of the Laguna - I tired it out at a woodcraft store, its the right height for me, the bed ways are smooth and flat, the banjo tool rest and way tightening handles seem to work flawlessly and travel smoothly, the headstock does not rotate and both the headstock and tailstock have adjustments to re-align their centers if needed. It is limited to 36" between centers and that is where I sometimes hit my elbow with my longer handle hollowing tools so it has to come off - buts its not as heavy as the PM.

So, are my concerns valid or should I just go with the Laguna and expect to occasionally replace its bearings?

I do wish I could afford a PM 2520C, wow! Now if only my retirement Lotto Numbers would come up...

Thanks

Scott in Harwood

As a owner of a grizzly G0766 you may want to look at one of these at a price of around $1600 and a swing of 22" you can't beat it. I have had mine for 3 years and have not had one problem with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Buxton View Post
    As a owner of a grizzly G0766 you may want to look at one of these at a price of around $1600 and a swing of 22" you can't beat it. I have had mine for 3 years and have not had one problem with mine.

OK, I will look at that one as well. The Laguna has an end of year markdown now so its $2,250.

Oh, and a question, is there any play in the tailstock quill shaft before you tighten it down? Also, is it possible to get a Oneway Banjo to fit it? I have heard these are the best banjos out there.

Oh, and a question, is there any play in the tailstock quill shaft before you tighten it down? Also, is it possible to get a Oneway Banjo to fit it? I have heard these are the best banjos out there.

I wouldn't necessarily shy away from a rotating headstock, I would be happy to own a Vicmarc VL240 with rotating headstock but it's out of your price range at $5,500.

I have not turned on a PM2020, but Craft Supplies classroom has one for the instructor to use. It's a cute little lathe but because it's shorter it's also lighter weight and can vibrate more with larger blanks and/or unbalanced blanks. With the turning you like to do, you might want to rethink this model. Or if you get it definitely plan on getting a tailstock swing away (which I have on my 3520 and love). I can't imagine trying to use a block and tackle to remove/reinstall the tailstock, that just sounds way too cumbersome and a pain.

Otherwise I was going to say that it sounds like you've pretty much made up your mind already on the Laguna 18/36 Revo. Others on this forum have certainly praised it and I can't recall if I've ever read anything negative about it. IMO definitely go 220v 2hp if you can. With the Laguna being on sale I think your decision has been made for you, or at least tipping towards the Laguna.

OK, I have looked at the Grizzly G0766 Lathe as well per a comment below. Lots of nice stuff to see there but the only down sides include:

Banjo is bored to 25mm and not 25.4mm for a 1" tool rest - this could be machined/drilled out to 1" so overcomeable (I know thats not a word.) Also, it would be nice if I could get a Oneway banjo to fit in the ways, but Oneway only seems to make banjos for 16" and 20" diameters.

Banjo and tail stock lock plates are rectangular (as on my old Craftsman lathe) and I would guess on the banjo it binds a bit when combining lateral motion with rotation - again, this is overcomable if I could get a round shoulder washer machined and put in its place.

Although I think it lacks a spindle lock button, the endexing bar will do that job since it looks pretty beefy.

Lots of comments on missing parts or warped mounting plates when shipped; but Grizzly always quick to fix the problems. That speaks to so-so QA in production and shipping. Part of why higher priced lathes cost more is the QA process to insure a 100% machine straight out of the box. I have worked in manufacturing a bit and this is from experience.

Good stuff is it has double ball bearing on the inboard side of the headstock. Also, these bearings are each rated at over 2,500lbs force in static conditions and much higher dynamically. These are the same bearings as in the PM and the JET.

Question on the quill shaft on the tail stock; is there any side to side play before you tighten the locking screw down? This is a problem on my Craftsman lathe.

Thanks

Scott

Thank you on the Laguna comment. I checked over the bearing types, and not only is there only one bearing each end, the load ratings on them are about 1/2 to 1/3 of those on the other machines.

I really want this to my last lathe and not a step stone lathe

My guess is that I could put in a better rated bearing set when/if these fail. I am just thinking ahead to future maintenance.

By the way - I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A 3520! that is why I looked at the oddball JET JWL-1642EVS, 16" x 42" EVS PRO Wood Lathe, 1-1/2HP. It looks like a white version of the PM 3520B.

Scott I made a filter view in my lathe spreadsheet that shows machines under $3500 with the heaviest sorted to the top. Have you considered the 3HP Grizzly G0800 option? If this is truly your "last lathe" you might as well get 3HP.

Scott
    25mm banjo are common on "import" lathes. Some early DVR's were 25mm not 1-inch.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

11. Scott, I have a Oneway banjo for my G0766.......there is a thread all about the 16" Oneway banjo that is actually the banjo that Oneway recommended to me for my G0766. It is longer than you think, and is made for their outboard setup, but with the correct locking plate, it works well for the 0766, and will allow a swing of 28" on the 0766 if it had that much capacity. Information on the GGMG, and threads about two years ago....look up http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-Nirvana-G0766 read all about it!

Btw, since Grizzly put out the larger [now standard] banjo for the 0766, the Oneway is not necessary to achieve the full capacity of the 0766.......I was one of the first 5 to get the 0766, and had much production to get done, so I went ahead and got the Oneway to hurry up the process.......I am perfectly satisfied with the Grizzly updated banjo!

Also the clamp plate shape does not interfere with rotation. The banjo mechanism has a round inset washer with keyway that aligns and allows movement. My updated Grizzly banjo actually moves easier than my Oneway banjo!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 12-29-2017 at 2:04 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger, that is great news and I am happy to hear it. Is it still 25mm or 25.4mm for the tool rest?

13. Quote Originally Posted by Scott Turnquist View Post
    Roger, that is great news and I am happy to hear it. Is it still 25mm or 25.4mm for the tool rest?
    I recommend every G0766 owner drill out the banjo hole to 1”....that allows for numerous aftermarket rests, coring and threading jigs to be used. A twist drill bit of 1”, some oil to lubricate the cut and about a minute of time is what is required. You are only removing about 1/64th” ...so easy and beneficial!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger, you and Keith have convinced me. I am adding the Grizzly G0766 to the list and now it is at the top of my list. I want to go to the wood show in Baltimore on the 5th of Jan next week first.

Scott

David, Thank You! Love the spreadsheet!

Scott