Thread: Somewhere to sit a laser printer

Somewhere to sit a laser printer

This was something of an experiment. I had some old broken down 1950's bedroom furniture in the wood stash and decided to use it to make a printer station for the study. I based the concept on a picture of an old English Georgian Commode.
    beds.jpg antique-lancashire-commode-42-L.jpg

The printer is a medium size color laser and needs clear access to the top cover to replace the toner cartridges. This is what I ended up with.
    cabinet3.jpg cabinet4.jpg cabinet4a.jpg cabinet5.jpg cabinet6.jpg

The timber is Tasmanian Myrtle, glued up as required to make all solid frame and panel. I decided to make the panels flush with the frame and cockbead the drawer fronts. The finish is Danish Oil.

Frankly, I like your design better than the sample. Very nice.

What's the reason for the hinged lid ? Whatever you put on it will have to be removed when you raise it.

The lid only needs to lift when clearing paper jams or replacing toner, which I hope will continue to be an infrequent occurrence. For the rest of the time the power board with all the wall warts for charging things various will probably live there (currently stuck on top of the sewing desk in the background)

Blog Entries
    I think that piece is terrific. A real touch of class over the usual home office fare.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

That's a very effective solution and yes, hinging that top section to allow access for maintenance while allowing it to be used otherwise as a surface was a good idea.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

A large step up from the "office furntiure" found in the box stores around here. Good job.