Thread: Need Epoxy advise

Need Epoxy advise

I am trying to fill a void in a project with epoxy dyed black. When I tried it on a test piece the black bleeds out into the surrounding wood. Any suggestions on how to avoid this or am I doing something wrong in the process.

Probably depends on which colorant you are using. I have used powdered graphite to tint epoxy black. No bleeding & it accepts topcoats like wood.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

I use carbon black (AKA lamp black). Never noticed any migration with it. I think the amorphous carbon is a bit blacker than graphite, which has a silvery sheen.

I used powdered black dye and never had any problems. I just mix it into the epoxy. One thing to watch for is air bubbles in the epoxy. Stir very carefully and try not to get any air into the epoxy.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

You can use liquid dyes in your epoxy--just use it sparingly if it tries to bleed--on a test piece.

Use a pigment rather than a dye and work clean. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

I'm thinking your wood is soft or has large pores. I use liquid dye and powered I see no difference
    Aj

You could seal the surrounding wood with shellac which will prevent it from going deep in the pores. Then when you sand it, most of the black should sand out.

Its a bit hard to find at the hardware store, but there is black epoxy. Anyone tried that?

The reason for black pigment is compatibility with the epoxy resin. The wrong solvent will interfere with the curing mechanism if you use liquid dye stain. Black epoxy as Stan suggests will work, otherwise use a black inert powder pigment. Crushed and seived charcoal will even work.

As a general rule with epoxy, colour or reinforce it with chemically inert materials so that you don't upset the base to curing agent ratio. Most epoxies for filling are solvent free so that they don't shrink as they cure. Many of these don't like solvent at all. Some years back, I was given the job of removing 3000 square metres of brand new solvent free epoxy from the inside of a water tank. Why? The previous contractor added solvent to the product to make it easier to use and it had all gone frothy from the reaction. We put the same epoxy back on but warmed it as per the instructions and that tank is still in service 15 years later. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.