Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cable TV alternatives

I cut the cable About 3-4 years ago and never looked back.

My house had an antenna and my local stations are 45-70 miles away in hilly western Pa.
    It was a directional antenna and I got from 20-25 stations.
    However, it didn't do UHF well so I just added an second antenna 2 months ago and pick up all the UHF stations, now.

I was already an Amazon Prime member so I added a Fire Stick.
    Already had Netflix, too.

But, we tried SlingTv and really like it.
    They have 2 basic packages for $20 &$25 and recently started offering add-ons.

I don't know if they have TLC but I bet it could be found somewhere online.

I am in the boonies and have 25 MPS DSL.
    Cable isn't available to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    What kind of antenna? No one for a mile in either direction from me has one, so I assumed it wasn't possible.
    The FCC has a web site that will show you which stations are available in your area, and show the relative signal strength you can expect. You plug in your address to get the info. Be aware that most stations are now on the UHF frequencies, even if they have an old VHF station number; but some may still use the old Hi-VHF frequencies. Most newer TV antennas are UHF only, but they also make UHF/Hi-VHF antennas. By clicking on the station call signs you will see the compass headings for the stations on the map.

https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lash View Post
    The FCC has a web site that will show you which stations are available in your area, and show the relative signal strength you can expect. You plug in your address to get the info. Be aware that most stations are now on the UHF frequencies, even if they have an old VHF station number; but some may still use the old Hi-VHF frequencies. Most newer TV antennas are UHF only, but they also make UHF/Hi-VHF antennas. By clicking on the station call signs you will see the compass headings for the stations on the map.

I used a few of these services to determine both station availability and specific aiming direction. Unfortunately, there's one station that's on VHF (and it's the one I watch the most) and geography torpedoed OTA because that specific station just will not pull in, no matter what antenna, what height, what amplification, etc. So I had to stay with "Local Only" TV on my provider (which is cheap) to insure I can watch that station. It's basically OTA via fiber.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lash View Post

I just went and looked and I can hardly get anything OTA. There are two that show up, one is weak and one is not available at all. I live on the back side of a mountain opposite every channel there is.

TvFool.com is the best of the station finders.

I bought my last antenna from Antennadirect.com
    Excellent support and they will advise you without any hard sell

The first time I contacted them several years ago, they advised me against buying a new antenna and suggested a few things to try on my existing one.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Foster View Post

I bought my last antenna from Antennadirect.com
    Excellent support and they will advise you without any hard sell

The first time I contacted them several years ago, they advised me against buying a new antenna and suggested a few things to try on my existing one.
    They report I can get 4 channels at all and every one of them are oddball, non-mainstream channels.

TV.Fool says I can get 1 channel, Fcc.gov says 2.

My cell phone ran a speed test at 20mbps. Can I run a fire stick off a hot spot? Well, if I got a better data plan.

I bought a digital antenna from Ace hardware. Put it on a tower that clears the roof of the house, and also have a booster installed.

Wade, whatever you do don't go with satellite internet. It's highly frustrating and way overpriced for only allowing 10gb per month (peak times).

Your cell phone will stream easily at those speeds. You can always purchase a signal booster that helps if you experience any latency (lag). Have you tried streaming any YouTube or Netflix on your phone?

I have 2 unlimited data plans from AT&T for my iPhone and my son's. Wife's phone is Verizon unlimited, but paid for by her dad's company because she does their accounting. We can stream anything - though I'm not sure if I've tried over 1080res. Our TV is 5 years old and doesn't go beyond 1080 so that is a moot point for us.

Check with your cell provider on their unlimited plans. "Unlimited" will have asterisks and TOC after a certain amount of data used. Streaming eats up data quickly. I mentioned above the text message AT&T sends me, but it's irrelevant in my area.

Incoming phone calls will interrupt service; only you can determine if that would be a nightly problem. I set my phone to Do Not Disturb after 5pm (except for my favorites and family list).
    -Lud

Wade
    I'm 58 and have never had cable TV. We didn't have an actual "TV" in the house until 3 years ago.
    I pay for cable access for the internet, of course, and that's it. Everything else is streamed.
    Listening to the folks at work that have "Bundled Packages, I would never do that either. At least not here in Connecticut. These guys are talking about $300.00+ monthly bills for the bundled packages.
    Streamed content is everywhere,and you may have to pay a subscription service to an Amazon, Netflix, FX, American, service etc, but you control the cost.
    For instance the TLC you reference is on Netflix. To obtain access you would need a Neflix account. The cost of this account is up to you, beyond the member subscription. Amazon is the same way, and if you're an Amazon Prime member, much of the content is free. It's really just a matter of looking. For at least Netflix and Amazon you would have access to previous seasons as part of the membership, and you might have to pay a fee for the current season, with a 24 hour delay.

To gain access to these streaming providers you need a "box". Apple TV, Amazon Fire Stick, Roku, etc. The smart TV's have these built into their software also, except for Apple TV. I have Apple TV, but wouldn't recommend it. It's access to content is more limited than a Roku or an Amazon box.

There is a learning curve involved, I'm not going to lie to you about that, but at the end of it, you have exponentially more control of what is available to you,and greater control over the cost.
    I would never have Cable TV. It is extremely limited in available content.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 01-05-2018 at 8:39 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Wade
    I'm 58 and have never had cable TV. We didn't have an actual "TV" in the house until 3 years ago...
    I remember in a previous discussion about television you mentioned that OTA reception wasn't an option. Back then I looked up Griswold, CT on one of those web sites that tell you what you could get. And if you put up a tower you could get:

ION station (or, All Serial Killers All The Time)
    PBS station
    Fox Station(s), maybe

That's about it. I can see why you didn't have a TV.

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Foster View Post
    That is a good one. Just input your zip code. No need to give them your address.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    That is a good one. Just input your zip code. No need to give them your address.
    My post office is about 1500' higher than I am. They probably get more channels than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stenzel View Post
    I remember in a previous discussion about television you mentioned that OTA reception wasn't an option. Back then I looked up Griswold, CT on one of those web sites that tell you what you could get. And if you put up a tower you could get:

ION station (or, All Serial Killers All The Time)
    PBS station
    Fox Station(s), maybe

That's about it. I can see why you didn't have a TV.

-Tom
    Tom

Supposedly, there are some third party hardware/software devices that can get more of the local channels, but I've never really looked into it.
    I ordered Center Ice once for Hockey, and all of the Bruins games were blacked out on it because of the local stations. Plenty of Sharks and Coyotes, but no Bruins. I cancelled that straight away. I wonder if the folks in San Jose and Phoenix get the Bruins?
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I haven't seen a good answer to this question yet but I will tell you my experience. It may give you some idea. My Mother-in-law lived in a very rural location and had no service but satellite TV. She did, however, live near I-20, which has fair (3 bar) 4G coverage on my Verizon phone. I used to go there all the time and watch Netflix on my Samsung tablet from a Wifi hotspot from the phone. It is a high resolution 10.4 inch tablet and the picture was excellent. I think it is a potential solution the your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    TV.Fool says I can get 1 channel, Fcc.gov says 2.

My cell phone ran a speed test at 20mbps. Can I run a fire stick off a hot spot? Well, if I got a better data plan.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 01-06-2018 at 12:55 PM.