Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how eliminate wobble in a workbench?

how eliminate wobble in a workbench?

Planning to build a new workbench next few months (the list never ends). But concerned amount the amount of wobble in my current "store bought" workbench.
    I like to make my benches "freestanding" so I can work around its total perimeter...I have heard of WWers fastening their bench to a wall or adding weight at bottom or simply building it EXTRA STOUT (heavy timbers etc) so it is difficult to move/wobble during use.....Any tips/ideas to insure a STABLE workstation?
    Thanks in advance.
    Jerry

I've not actually done this, but adding gussets/brackets (triangular wood chunks?) to the corners of the joints is something I've heard done. That way the joints will wrack less.

Jerry,
    When I lived there in Chicago my front loader washer used to bounce around all over during the spin cycle. I cut 3 inch squares of that synthetic steel wool and put it under the feet and it never moved again. The synthetic stuff I used was VARY course like a rats nest, the floor was smooth vinyl and stayed right in place for 15 years. I'm not saying it will work for you and weight would certainly help but might be something to look into??? Good luck.
    Chet

you could add some diagonal bracing end to end and /or front to back to tighten it up considerably.

Jerry, are you talking about wobble due to possibly loose/inadequate joinery or due to an uneven floor the bench rests on? Most benches we have seen on projects here and on plans published for use in books, etc seem to have plenty stout enough legs and stretchers that are joined well enough to prevent anything like that. However, an uneven floor could still result in some wobble due to contact to the floor with less than all four legs. I also prefer a bench that affords 360* access but could see an uneven floor causing the need for something like Chet suggests.
    David

The structural design of many benches is poor. Four straight unbraced legs are common relying on the top and bottom joint for rigidity.
    You see them on U-tube shaking with gentle dovetail sawing, despite looking substantial.
    Very substantial legs and joints can do a serviceable job, the mass they contain creates inertia aiding stability.
    No-one builds bridges that way, structural bracing is essential.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Mine used to wiggle a bit...then I fastened a sheet of 1/2 plywood to the back legs. Top of the plywood rest against the bottom edge of the top. There is also a 1 x 6 set between the sets of legs. It rests on a stretcher between the two legs on each end. No more wiggles..

William, I agree if there are no stretchers included in the design. It does seem like four stretchers made up to the four legs (all of the sufficient size that one is used to seeing on the SMC builds and "workbench" type books) should not require additional bracing as long as proper sized/depth M&T connections are made.
    David

A more or less complete cabinet beneath the bench can add great rigidity to the frame. And the cabinet can be loaded with heavy items to further stabilize the entire unit.

I keep a pair of 60 lb lead pigs beneath my small woodworking bench, in addition to a bunch of other heavy stuff.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Good joinery would help a lot. Then again it depends on the workbench application. Do you still want to carry it?
    It also depends on the money you have for this build. The MOST important is the table size and flatness. If money was an issue. Metal..... frame would eliminate all the wobbles.

Check out the builds from Roubo bench. That is one solid workbench.

Jerry,

Building a work bench requires, like most things in life, balance. Each part needs to be heavy enough, thick enough, strong enough to do the job but not too heavy or thick. Then the other factor is “completing the box” with strong mortise and tenon joinery that is draw bored or pegged. I draw bore the base joinery, pegs are enough for connecting the slab to the base. With a completed box and strong pegged M/T joinery it is almost impossible for the bench to rack. Size and weight will keep it from “scooting”.

ken

Jerry,

I just wanted to add: Even the last bench I built, a very light weight portable Moravian style bench, does not wobble. Because it is very light it will scoot on slick floors but there is no racking.

The secret to eliminating wobble, if there is a secret, is joints with wide shoulders pulled together with either wedges or pegs and of course stiff enough wood.

ken

Ken your Moravian bench does not wobble longitudinally because it has structural rigidity in the shape of the legs. Good joints with wide shoulders all help but with many seasonal cycles and 20 years use joints can loosen. It is only structural rigidity that will last.

Full drawer construction under the bench (shaker style) would add lots of structural rigidity and weight, not to mention storage space but moving the bench becomes very difficult.

I designed my bench to last perhaps 300 years but at that point it may just be holding up a breakfast buffet in a bed and breakfast somewhere. At least people will get to see it and if it inspires one person to build it then it will almost be immortal!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    Ken your Moravian bench does not wobble longitudinally because it has structural rigidity in the shape of the legs. Good joints with wide shoulders all help but with many seasonal cycles and 20 years use joints can loosen. It is only structural rigidity that will last.

Full drawer construction under the bench (shaker style) would add lots of structural rigidity and weight, not to mention storage space but moving the bench becomes very difficult.

I designed my bench to last perhaps 300 years but at that point it may just be holding up a breakfast buffet in a bed and breakfast somewhere. At least people will get to see it and if it inspires one person to build it then it will almost be immortal!
    William,

I have no doubt a full set of cabinets built into the bench would add to its stiffness. Some do not like the limits those cabinets impose, I’m one of them. That said your solution to the racking problem can be a good one, I expect much better than adding gussets, plywood sheet braces, and other fixes for poor design and/or construction.

BTW, I’ve just replaced a bench built over 30 years ago with the Moravian bench, after 30+ years of use it did not rack. The only reason it was replaced was the tool tray on the Moravian is useful on a sharpening bench. Of the other two benches, one is about ten years old, the other over five. With either you could drive a truck on and they wouldn’t wiggle.

Of course as with all things wood.....YMMV.

ken

Much wisdom here..Thanks to all,, Still thinking it over....My list is long before I can start the bench project...many good suggestions....Among them, the importance of the M/T joints....
    Jerry