Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New workbench build thread

Thanks Chris. My plan for the cabinet carcass is a quick & dirty frameless Euro-style box out of plywood with dividers in the necessary spots to carry the drawer slides. I will likely just dowel and screw the box together (after all, it's a shop fixture not fine furniture) and maybe veneer the ends to hide the screws. Working in a commercial cabinet shop i have a nearly endless supply of plywood cut-offs and leftover veneer sheet shorts so I will call upon those reserves for this one.

The drawer boxes are going to have poplar sides & backs and cherry fronts to match the top. I like to use half blind dovetails on drawer boxes, and the front of each box will have rabbeted half blinds to overlay the edges of the cabinet box. I love cutting dovetails so I'm looking forward to that part of the build.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Cabinet built and installed. Itching to start making the drawers and finally begin to de-clutter my shop.

IMG_1426.jpg
    IMG_1427.jpg IMG_1428.jpg

Spent some time making drawers over the weekend. I may have made it more complicated than it needed to be, but that's kinda my MO. I wanted the look of a full overlay cabinet, so I decided on rabbeted half blind dovetails for the drawer fronts. I have one drawer left to do, but so far so good.
    The time consuming part was laying everything out. The rabbets are different sizes depending upon the position of the drawer and what part of the case is being overlaid. I cut the cross grain rabbets with tenon saws & shoulder plane, and the long grain rabbets with a metal rabbet plane similar to a Stanley 78.

IMG_1439.jpg IMG_1438.jpg IMG_1442.jpg IMG_1444.jpg
    Last edited by brian zawatsky; 01-29-2018 at 10:00 AM.

I had to mark the pin board with a pencil, because the rabbet prevented me from getting my marking knife in there. This was less than ideal, so I struck a knife line just inside the pencil mark before cutting.

I gave myself permission to overcut the baseline on the inside face of the drawer fronts, as it was tricky to saw the sides of the pins without cutting into the bottom of the rabbet. You can see a bunch of little marks where I stabbed it with the tip of the saw inadvertently. The rest of the dovetail process is straightforward.

While I really enjoy cutting dovetails, I'm no Derek Cohen As you can see from my pics lol. I'm always learning and always trying to do just a little better on the next joint.

My first couple joints were nice and tight mechanically, but still showed some gaps on the outside and I couldn't figure out why. Then I realized that my tails weren't perfectly square across the thickness of the board, and that produced a joint that had to be tapped together yet still showed gaps. I cut the next set of tails more carefully and ended up with a bit tighter joint.

Still have to cut the dovetails in the bottom drawer, then take them all back apart and hit them with the smoother to clean them up.

IMG_1454.jpg IMG_1456.jpg IMG_1458.jpg IMG_1464.jpg IMG_1462.jpg IMG_1465.jpg
    Last edited by brian zawatsky; 01-29-2018 at 10:00 AM.

Blog Entries
    Brian, there is an easier way to make those dovetails. Since this is for an application where the sides must be set in, if you make through dovetails and then make an applied face, it's much easier.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Brian, there is an easier way to make those dovetails. Since this is for an application where the sides must be set in, if you make through dovetails and then make an applied face, it's much easier.
    Thanks for the suggestion Brian. I've done that before on other things I've built, and wanted to give this method a shot. Since the cabinet was a bit of a quick & dirty, thought I'd put some extra effort into the drawers. It was fun as well as challenging.

Splendid bench Brian, I look forward to the BLO job as the bench will be stunning after that.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

^ phrasing

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Johnson View Post
    ^ phrasing
    Hahahahaha!!! The praise is always highest after the BLO job. At least that's what she said...

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    Splendid bench Brian, I look forward to the BLO job as the bench will be stunning after that.
    Thanks William, it's been a great project. The finish will unfortunately have to wait until the spring when I can open up the Bilco door and casement windows in my basement shop, otherwise the boss may make me sleep down there! She doesn't like when I stink the house up with the beautiful aroma of aromatic hydrocarbon solvents. Go figure.

This oughta do it...

So I finally finished up the drawers this past weekend, which pretty much brings the bench build saga to a close. Still remaining are a little planing and scraping to remove some pencil marks & smooth out a couple funky spots, and a treatment of BLO+varnish+turpentine which will have to wait until the spring since it is rather stinky (depending upon who you ask) and my shop is in the basement.

IMG_1495.jpg

IMG_1498.jpg

I will remove the drawers and take them to work with me, where I can get some finish on them to protect & stabilize them. The tulip poplar really likes to move for some reason and I think getting finish on them will help tremendously with that issue.

The Emmert vise is an absolute beast, and installing it rather than a twin screw was the right decision for me. I've already found several joinery operations that it simplifies. I may remove the front jaw and clean it up a little better, but not too much. I kinda like it looking old and well-used.

I may also update the thread in a few months after I get some finish on it; the cherry will really glow after that. Thanks for following along.

Really Excellent work, Brian....OUTSTANDING results!!!! I envy your bench,,,
    Jerry

A very impressive bench Brian

Hello Brian,

I really really really like my bench, but yours has me a wee bit jealous Beautiful work and looking forward to seeing the projects that you use it for.

Best,
    Chris

Thanks guys. I had been wanting to build my own bench for at least 5 years now. I'm glad I waited - by the time I had the extra money and time to build it, I actually knew pretty much what I was looking for in a work bench.