Thread: A surprising first

A surprising first

My son asked for a cheese serving/cutting board for Christmas, so I whipped one up out of the scrap box. Then I realized it was the first cutting board I'd ever made in 45 years of woodworking. What next, a pencil holder?

Happy Christmas to all!

IMG_0056.jpg

It's a darn nice one, too!!!

I will admit that I haven't made much in the way of cutting boards, either. But I've only been woodworking since about 1997...so I have time to catch up to you. LOL "Technically" the one I use daily for meal prep was "made" by me, but it's essentially the same maple cutting board that was embedded in the counter by the previous owners when we first bought our home. After renovating the kitchen in 2003, I took that nice piece of maple, resurfaced it and put a walnut end-stop on it to keep it steady on the island surface.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-25-2017 at 3:12 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Cutting boards are fun to make and useful but all my family has enough of them so I stopped making them. My wife put my best one away because it's too heavy for her.

But yours looks great and hopefully your family can use a lot of them. Such a great use for scrap.

On to boxes--they never tire of boxes.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Congratulations. Your journey is complete . If you are looking for another time-suck that people seem to love but, that takes more effort than they are worth . . . try drink coasters. Nice looking board BTW .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Congratulations. Your journey is complete . If you are looking for another time-suck that people seem to love but, that takes more effort than they are worth . . . try drink coasters. Nice looking board BTW .
    One of the YouTube dudes I've been watching relative to CNC has an Etsy business doing all manners of coasters...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...