Thread: KimBall gimbal-type vise

KimBall gimbal-type vise

Good Morning ! I am new to this forum and have never posted anything so, I don't know if this is the appropriate place to introduce this. I have seen a number of posts regarding a KimBall vise. I happen to own one, purchased, I believe at the Las Vegas Gunmakers Guild show late 80's to early 90's. I bought it from the actual inventor and builder who, I believe, has since past passed away. I am/was a custom stock builder and metal finisher and this vise is simply this best way I have ever seen to hold awkwardly shaped material like gun stocks actions and the like -- infinitely adjustable for height, length and angle via a heavy gimble apparatus that tightens up rock solid. It has two steel/delrin plates; one fixed and one that pivots. I have use it, almost daily for over 25 years. When I have figured this forum out I'll post some pictures.

If you are looking for one, I would say they are relatively rare. Since it was originally made for serious gun work I would seek out some gun making forums with a fairly old history and see if anyone there might have one they are willing to part with. I will keep mine forever as it is so essential to my hobby interests. If I run across one, I'll post info.

Good Hunting !! -- Mark

Blog Entries
    Howdy Mark and welcome to the Creek.

You may also look into pattern maker's vises such as the Oliver or Emmert for old ones and there are new ones available from some sources.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Can you post a picture of your KimBall vise?

I think this is the vice he is talking about
    I want one!
    http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4807861.pdf
    Carpe Lignum

That's the one exactly !! Thanks; I've never seen the patent Drawings before. Love having them. My vise uses square nut wrenches to tighten. Kessy said gunmakers thought the permanent ones got in the way. He had the original at the Guild Show.

Working on the photos. Best - Mark