Thread: Osage Orange canes

Osage Orange canes

Finished up some christmas builds just in time.
    I did good this year selling my spoons made a dozen of these beech sets and some single spoons from the wood John Jordan gifted me.In case anyone is wondering the cutting boards are beech
    The canes were my favorite I was asked to add a hard metal tip for whacking coyotes mean dogs or anyone who deserves it.
    Osage orange seems very strong I think it was good choice.
    Now i can sit back and relax.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

Those are really lovely canes! OO is a great material--strong and tough--and I really love the shade of brown it migrates to once it oxidizes. There's a reason it was "the go to" for things like bows "back in the day". The other projects also look great!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

They really do look great, as Jim says. ..Everything . . . You really do a spectacular job, and with days to spare, to relax. Congratulations.

Really like the look of the beech end grain cutting boards. The color looks pretty rich for beech, is that just because of the oil/wax you used?

Very nice work on the canes!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Excellent work. When I get to where I need a cane I'll be sending you some osage (and some begging!)

I like working with osage and do use it for woodturning but I guess I use more of it around the farm than in the shop - the best possible garden stakes, fence stretchers, etc. Osage is incredibly strong - it will whack those who need it repeatedly without damage (to the canes!) I have a pile of old osage logs by the sawmill - have to see what they look like inside.

You sure did the spoon wood justice!

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ontko View Post
    The color looks pretty rich for beech....
    Mike, I went through a batch of beech earlier this year that was really quite pink .. not at all the white beech I'd used previously. I really like the character of beech no matter the color. ..And to think it used to be considered only appropriate for the structural innards of furniture.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    Mike, I went through a batch of beech earlier this year that was really quite pink .. not at all the white beech I'd used previously. I really like the character of beech no matter the color. ..And to think it used to be considered only appropriate for the structural innards of furniture.
    Could be one of the differences between American and European beech, especially steamed European beech (which is all I've used so far)?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ontko View Post
    Could be one of the differences between American and European beech, especially steamed European beech (which is all I've used so far)?
    The beech I used was harvested in Georgia, USA.

My cutting boards where made from euro beech.And they did darken from the mineral oil.
    I was lucky to get the Osage Orange from a friends wood collection air drying for years.
    He had planned to make a Bow. I can see why it's good bow wood it has this soft rubbery layer between its hard layers. Making it both soft and hard. Perfecto!

Thanks for everyone's comments
    Last edited by Andrew Hughes; 12-23-2017 at 11:32 AM.
    Aj

Like all the projects. They are elegant.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

All of it looks really nice. What did you use for the metal on the top of the canes?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    All of it looks really nice. What did you use for the metal on the top of the canes?
    Yes, I wondered that too. Is one aluminum and one brass? Do you make those or find them somewhere? How are they fastened?

JKJ

Carriage bolt one is stainless and one is bronze. Brass carriage bolts are scarce around here weird huh.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Carriage bolt one is stainless and one is bronze. Brass carriage bolts are scarce around here weird huh.
    I've never seen a bronze or brass carriage bolt!