Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Okay, How About the Least Used Planes or Tools?

Blog Entries
    Oh wow
    I have one of those pretty brass planes, but since Harvey came through I don't have the foggiest notion of where it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bjorgen View Post
    Hi Rob — Before I shot the photos for my above post I played around with the Stanley 103. My basic complaint is that it is hard to get a fine adjustment with the lever. I might try using a hammer instead to see if that works. The blade is sharp and I was finally able to do some chamfering and end grain with it. The LN 102 is just such an easier plane to set up, although both are small and handy. The open mouth has never bothered me. As I said, the 103 was a curiosity purchase for me.
    Yup, the 103 takes some tweaking. I used the lever to get close and a small hammer to fine tune. Once I had "the spot" I locked it down good and tight.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Power tool? Definitely my biscuit joiner. Need to sell that thing.

My least used plane is probably my Stanley nbr 20. I love it, but just haven't been doing much curved work lately.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Took me a while, but...the least used tool in the shop would be a tablesaw.....haven't even had one for a couple of years, now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Took me a while, but...the least used tool in the shop would be a tablesaw.....haven't even had one for a couple of years, now.
    How about keeping this to tools that are actually in one's shop. My last use of a table saw was so long ago it is no longer a memory. It may have been in a junior high school general shop class. There has never been one in my shop.

There are plenty of tools that would qualify as least used if nonexistent tools are thrown in. Every tool that isn't in my shop would qualify for a least used tool.

My inquiry is only for those that are owned and in one's kit or shop but just didn't work out or were replaced by something that does the job better.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

With so little room in my shop.....anything that is never used, is sold off. Need the space for tools I DO use....Parted out an old lathe, as I no longer use it.....some of it is still sitting in the shop.....

Least used tools by type, not counting dupes of the same tool (like multiple #4s and #5s and #9 1/2s) or tools in progress of restoration, or tools with a very specific purpose, like a lathe or a carving gouge.

Stationary tools: My 6" Jet jointer. It's really to small in width and length to be useful. All the other big tools in the shop (other than the lathe) get regular use, but the jointer usually just holds up the kraft paper dispenser. I find it easier to use a #5 or #40 to roughly face joint (basically take out the high spots) a board to be run through the planer and it works on boards wider than 6 inches. For edge jointing long boards I draw a straight line, cut it on the bandsaw and hit it with a #8 to even it out and then rip the opposing edge with the table saw.

Portable electrics: Corded drills. Just don't have much use for them in woodworking anymore, carpentry and metal work yes, but not woodworking. Cordless drills and drivers have supplanted them. After that, probably the router. It gets used, but I've always hated the noise and dust.

Planes: Probably the low angle block plane. I got it because it sounded like you were supposed to have one, but I never found much use for it. Regular block planes seem to suit me better. The more special purpose ones don't get used as often as block and bench planes, but they are handy when you need them: the 78, skew rabbet, side rabbet, circular plane, router plane, etc.

Chisels: Pigsticker mortice. I broke the tip of my 1/4 inch one long enough ago that I don't remember when and still haven't fixed it. I don't remember if the 3/8 is even sharp. It's just easier to use other chisels or set up the hollow chisel.

Other hand tools: Folding ruler, tape measures are just so much more convenient. Double marking gauge and knife scribers, I've reached the age where a pencil line I can see is just more useful. Brace and bits, I still use some of them, but less and less. And yet for some reason I have 4 sets....
    Last edited by Andrew Seemann; 12-23-2017 at 1:07 AM.