Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Made In USA Bar Clamp

Blog Entries
    Colton,
    I think the trick would be to get your products on the pages of Lie Nielsen, TFWW and similar premium retailers. Save the effort of trying to compare to a cheap thing and sit beside another good product in front of a qualified consumer.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I think Brian makes a good suggestion...how you market and through whom is going to be a factor with a premium product. Placing it with other premium products gets you the audience that is more likely to bite.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi Colton,

Here's an interesting article about Dubuque Clamp Works from a few years ago. Maybe they would be a comparison point for you since their clamps are made of aluminum and are regarded to be high quality. Their model is very much the Made in USA model home town business that some of the posts in this thread have mentioned.

http://www.telegraphherald.com/news/...8a63cff52.html

The article talks about their prices being higher than others, but I notice they're a good deal lower than what you're mentioning above and they rate the clamping force at 1000 lbs. Lee Valley, TFWW, Harry J. Epstein all sell them. Maybe this is a good comparison point for you although your design may be different/better.

Edwin

The larger the throat depth the heavier the clamp has to be. It increases the moment against the main beam. For Dubuque they have a very small throat distance for their style of clamp which allows for a large amount of rigidity versus the clamping Force provided which means thinner components are needed . If I decreased the throat distance from 4 inches to 2 inches I could reduce the price since I could then use thinner dimensions. But I found 4 inches to be a pretty good throat depth for a bar clamp.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Colton, I think the trick would be to get your products on the pages of Lie Nielsen, TFWW and similar premium retailers. Save the effort of trying to compare to a cheap thing and sit beside another good product in front of a qualified consumer.
    Thanks Brian! That is solid advice!

I just had a look at LV to see what the Bessey K body clamps go for. Yours are pretty close to the same in price and I have a couple dozen, admittedly bought on sale when the old style were being sold off. They are the clamps I reach for most often and my Pony pipe clamps if I need even more. If yours are of similar quality you’ll be able to make a nice business for yourself even though they are going to cost more.

I am excited about the proposed weight difference in Colton's message.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    So really, what you are saying is that you could care less about buying American products as long as you can buy a POS from Harbor Freight. Right?
    No, I have very limited resources. If I am looking at 10 items that I need to buy, and 5 of them I can buy American for a small upcharge I do. If I buy one item that is 4 times the cost and for me gets me the same end result. I can then not afford the other 5 at small upcharge. Basically I pick my battles, the harbor frieght ones have lifetime warranty so if one breaks I can take it back. and multiple people have posted about using them with good results.

Blog Entries
    For me it isn't about breakage or total failure, though I've had that with cheap clamps so I dont bother with them. Instead I care about the quality of how the item works, if it feels nice and works nicely that is an added plus.
    I hate cheap tools, truly. They always end up being aggravating to deal with and costly in the sense that they're annoying or do the job improperly.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I like my Chinese made clamps and also like that we sell them billions of dollars worth of our own exports. You should not try to make and sell USA designed clamps unless you have a competitive edge. That could include breakthroughs in manufacturing technology, new patented design features, distinctive shape, etc. If you do try, be sure to have an effective exit plan pre-designed if the hoped-for profits do not materialize.

Blog Entries
    I bought bar clamps at Home Depot many years ago. They have been good. I don't buy anything on line. If I can't pick it up and know what I'm buying, I just do not do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin McConoughey View Post
    I like my Chinese made clamps and also like that we sell them billions of dollars worth of our own exports. You should not try to make and sell USA designed clamps unless you have a competitive edge. That could include breakthroughs in manufacturing technology, new patented design features, distinctive shape, etc. If you do try, be sure to have an effective exit plan pre-designed if the hoped-for profits do not materialize.
    There is a niche market for high-quality, high priced hand tools. Think Lee Nielsen. Not sure if there is such a market for clamps...but maybe? I went cheap and bought harbor freight bar clamps. They bend. I've had a handle sheer off. I'll be looking to buy better clamps and spend a bit more money.

<p>
    Quote Originally Posted by Colton Miller View Post
    . If I decreased the throat distance from 4 inches to 2 inches I could reduce the price since I could then use thinner dimensions. But I found 4 inches to be a pretty good throat depth for a bar clamp.
    Since we deal with stock mostly 2 inches and less in thickness, may I ask what advantages a 4-in. throat depth offers? I have used the Dubuque aluminum bar clamps a lot (mosly for casework/cabinetry joinery) and haven&#39;t found any issues yet with their 2&quot; spec. Simon</p>

The 4" throat depth allows you to reach farther into a wide piece rather than applying clamping force only out at the edges of the work. Really not an issue of thickness, more with regards to width. Wider face glue-ups and so on can be tricky with common shallow depth clamps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    The 4&quot; throat depth allows you to reach farther into a wide piece rather than applying clamping force only out at the edges of the work. Really not an issue of thickness, more with regards to width. Wider face glue-ups and so on can be tricky with common shallow depth clamps.
    Hi Mark,
    I understand that but in the majority of butt joints, dovetail joints etc. for case work, boxes, etc., the 4&quot; depth does not offer any advantages at all, as you will be clamping a wide board to the end/edge of a board that is 1/2&quot; to 1&quot; thick in most cases, In fact, as I see it, for most glue-ups involving stock of 2&quot; or less, a 4&quot; throat depth means the core clamping force is directed a little above the stock,
    When my glue-up needs a deep throat calmp, 4&quot; throat depth (my Bessey clamps) is usually not deep enough and I usually go with those that are 5&quot; deep or more.
    By wide face glue-ups, are you referring to gluing two wide boards face to face, lamintaing boards?
    Simon