Thread: Jointer/planer

Jointer/planer

Hello,
    Looking for input on a jointer/planer combination machine. I have been looking for a used 8" jointer, maybe a DJ-20 or something comparable. It seems when you are looking they are not there, but when you are not ready they pop up on Craigslist etc. I am looking for feedback on the Minimax fs 30c. I am thinking of taking the plunge and buying up thinking it will be worth the additional money. Thanks, Jack

Blog Entries
    I have two Minimax machines and I’m very happy with them. Call Sam Blasco, he answers questions honestly, gives accurate technical info and no pressure.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I have a FS35 and like it a lot. That said, if I had more room I'd prefer to have a big arse jointer and a separate planer for the increased convenience. But if you don't have room for two big machines a combo is the way to go because IMO there is no practical substitute for a wide jointer.

John

I just got the FS30 into my shop today, so I can't say much about it yet. But Sam was super helpful and very responsive.

I've been a believer in a J/P combo for a long time now and I'm very satisfied with my MM FS350. (350mm/13.68" width that they no longer make) The FS30 is a great machine and I suspect you'll enjoy having it in your shop. Having a wider jointer for flattening is a "really good thing".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hi, a J/P combo is a great way to get a large jointer and a capable planer in a small space at reasonable cost.

MM make great machines as do Felder and Hammer, you won't regret buying any one of them..............Regards, Rod.

When I was deciding, it came down to Minimax and Hammer for me. The Hammer offered a 'silent' spiral cutting head which tipped the scales. That being said, I've never heard an FSXX owner complain that they didn't have a spiral; in fact (and I'm talking out of school here) but I was counselled that the Tersa head on the Minimax can make knife changes simpler. I think they both have solid fan bases.

In the combos, you'll find that you end up with more jointer than you (think you) want and less planer than you desire. You will be pleasantly surprised at the luxury of being able to joint 10", 12" or 16".

I would say, if you can afford it, get the largest JP combo you can afford.