Thread: North State Table Saws

North State Table Saws

Hey guys, looking to get upgrade my table saw to a 3hp while doing my best to stay around $1,000. Craigslist has a 1 year old, lightly used, 3hp North State table saw.

After a little research on North State (a brand i know little about), it seems that they are made in Taiwan by Mao Shan (www.maoshan.com) who make a lot of machines that are rebranded for various companies worldwide. Toolex in Canada, Transpower and Northstate in the US, Carbatec in AUS and NZ.

Other than that I don't know much other than they seem to be pretty solid.

Anyone know more about this brand and can offer some
    advice?

They're solid cabinet saws, and I think the company is actually still in business, so the would be a plus. I had a co worker that had/has one. he never complained about it.
    If you can get a working, solid, 3HP table saw into the shop for $1K, you're doing pretty good.

It's interesting that you saw one on Craigslist. There is one on Craigslist in CT. It's the 5hp, single phase, 12"-14" model. It's older than the one you're looking at though. I've been starting to see a lot of 3HP Delta Unisaws showing up on Craigslist in New England for $500-$1000, depending on the fence and age. Could be another possibility if the Northstate falls through. I only know, because I have been looking for a heavy duty drill press, or bench top milling machine, so I see the listings for the saws.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Like Mike I am in New England and see the postings in the price range he cites for both Unisaws and Powermatic 65/66 and 72 ... though the latter brand seem to be mostly 3-phase. I would think a 3-hp 3-phase saw could be run on a VFD. A PM66 with a Beisemeyer and selection of blades for $800 should be a solid saw. North State Machinery is sold through Leneave Supply in Charlotte North Carolina. I have had reason to call them and they have been very service oriented and responsive. I have no idea of the quality of their saw (other machinery is very good) nor the supply network for repair parts. Some of their equipment (wide belt sander) has a good reputation.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Bill

I really thought about that Powermatic 72 up near Boston.
    I'm also starting to see used combo machines and sliders popping up.

A Craigslist story.
    I bought a used commercial washer for horse blankets off Craigslist, and the guy I bought it from has dogs that have been trained to alert on Bedbugs!!. His business is to go into hotel/ motels and look for bedbug. It was both fascinating and disturbing at the same time.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Somehow I missed this old thread. The 1992 North State MBS-250 is a 240V 20A saw that has three arbor bearings instead of two. I have replaced those bearings. This saw has three belts.
    You need a hydraulic press and proper support all around to prevent breaking the arm.
    The -250 is called that probably because of the approximate 250mm blade it takes (10 inch).
    Tried to upload video showing a nickel standing on edge during start, run and stop.
    I bought it used in 1999 off Craigslist with the original fence and some blades.
    Hauled it down an interstate with sawdust flying everywhere. Didn’t know any better. Also did not realize the weight until I got it home because they loaded it.
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....saw&highlight=
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bruce King; 08-15-2020 at 11:07 PM.

I do not see what the third bearing would do. When ever I pull a bearing it is hard pull. Replacing it is much easier since I have wire brushed and degreased everything.
    Bill D

They put two bearings side by side at the most critical location. Bearings have some micro play so this technique divides it by two. I lost my pictures or need to look harder for them. I know an expert that broke one of these arbor brackets while removing or replacing bearings. They are in crazy tight and even installing new ones is very risky without a press and special support at the right places since it’s not a simple flat part. There is no typical grease involved in this.

Just watched a video on a much easier bearing replacement on a saw with just one belt and everything with easy access. Also the bearings came out and went in easier.
    Last edited by Bruce King; 08-15-2020 at 11:09 PM.