Thread: John Lucas in the AAW Journal

John Lucas in the AAW Journal

Good friend John Lucas is featured in the December '17 issue of the AAW journal American Woodturner, both with an article and on the coveted back cover. The piece on the back cover, entitled "I Carried You", is touching. I saw it in person at a Cumberland woodturners club meeting. This piece once again shows John's level of creativity.

Here is part of what John wrote and photo:
    This piece took about 18 years to make. It's called I carried you. I came up with the idea after my friend found his wife comatose and picked her up while calling the ambulance. Fortunately she survived after having an emergency heart transplant. Anyway I couldn't imagine how that would feel carrying a loved one that was dying. ... the goblet feet and cup were turned out of spalted woods because I wanted it to look like older people. The Ash comp wood however wasn't. So I spalted it myself with dyes, paint, and India ink using a quill pen. ... It's about 7" tall.

Lucas_I carried you.jpg

The article starting on page 28 shows how to turn another of Sir Lucas's creative ideas - a square ornament. He turns six little bowls in a cube of wood such that each bowl intersects its neighbors. I am honored to have these in my collection, one which is pictured both in the Journal index and in the article:

If you don't know John Lucas, here is a photo from a turning symposium few years back, with Doug Thompson, the other John Jordan, John Lucas, and myself:

This is not an ad for John (he doesn't need it) but a head's up for turning clubs: John does wonderful club demos (and is not afraid to travel). He demos a lot at the two clubs I attend regularly and I learn something each time. He doesn't post here, but on some other forums. (Busy guy, can't do everything!)

BTW, if you like turning wood and don't belong to the AAW and get the journal, you're missing out! (My Humble Opinion)

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 12-09-2017 at 8:49 PM. Reason: I messed up!

John is very talented. He did a demo at our club on hand mirrors. Great demo. He brought some of his minatures that are amazing. Great story for the inspiration for the back cover of the journal. I may try his square ornaments.
    Last edited by William C Rogers; 12-09-2017 at 5:14 PM.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Quote Originally Posted by William C Rogers View Post
    John is very talented. He did a demo at our club on hand mirrors. Great demo. He brought some of his minatures that are amazing. Great story for the inspiration for the back cover of the journal. I may try his square ornaments.
    He said he got into a friendly competition with another turner to see who could make the smallest goblets. The smallest would blow up if there was a single pore of the wood in the stem. I think he made tools from sewing needles and used a microscope. Insane!

JKJ