Thread: Question for Pete

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question for Pete

Pete,

On Scotts post about "Is this a good deal on a set of usable Stanley Planes" you wrote. "Once you do, you need to learn the timeless practice of hoarding and upgrading. That leads to selling and 20 years from now you will be an OT vendor." (Or something pretty close to that.)

I am surprised, Shocked really!, that you might suspect or think that some of us (you too maybe?) could become upgraders or horders.

Some of us just happen to have way more saws, chisels, and planes than we will ever need or use. Further, a lot of us are not into upgrading, it is just by happenstance that we tend to buy or trade for better tools as time goes on, nothing to do with upgrading....these are purely coincidental things, again not the result of upgrading or hording.

I have told my wife that, but for some odd reason she seems to be a tiny bit doubtful, as utterly surprising as that may seem.

In my case for example I have cut way back on tool buying...it is just an odd coincidence that such has happened at exactly the same time that I am also running out of room to put planes, (I don't have, and never have had, very much room in the first place though, that's why I mostly work on sawhorses in the back yard.)

Well...hmmm.....I guess maybe there could be some slight chance that you might be onto something.......

However, I can say that you are completely wrong on one point though!!! I (and maybe others) am NOT good at selling any of my saws, planes, or chisels.....I still have most of them! (This is not hoarding..... or.....well.....I.....)

Maybe it's just that some of us haven't been at it 20 years yet, as per the time factor you put in your statement. I can say that I do now give some away to one of my son-in-laws, and plan to give more as he is learning Neander woodworking, as I am also I guess. Giving them to him is fun!

I do also have a daughter who refinishes and restores furniture for her home, does superb work at such, and she may get to the point of wanting to give woodworking a try too, as a part of that. Then I will have a second one to give tools to! (My wife and I do have 6 grandkids so you never know, giving tools away may become a flood several years from now.)

I hate to admit it, but after thinking it over, I think you may be on to something. Or, maybe it's just that we run out of room in our tool storage, and then have no choice but to sell something if we are going to upgrade......, or, I mean we just happen to stumble onto better tools at a relatively give away prices....sort of.....hmm

How bout the rest of you, any hoarders, upgraders, or OT venders out there? Is it a desease?

Regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 12-09-2017 at 12:35 AM.