Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next Wave Automation CNC Shark or CNC PIRANHA Users?

Next Wave Automation CNC Shark or CNC PIRANHA Users?

I am in the market for a smaller CNC router, and I had a IMService 12x24 inches one a few years ago and it worked fine but it had some issues and the product was more or less built one off by high school students or so it seemed. There were upgrades always in the works, but it never happened.

The one good thing it had a post processor in VCarve and used standard gcode.

Now looking for a decent one about the same size and I need it to be able to run VCarve generated gcode code so I can use all the files I still have with a few changes.

Interested to hear from users of the CNC Shark or Piranha XL? I realize this is not commercial grade but I do not have $10 k to invest. Yes I could build one but not interested.
    Last edited by Bill George; 12-08-2017 at 11:36 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I don't own either one of those, but they look like scaled down versions of the $5K machines. If there is a Rockler in your area, then see if you can check them out in person.

One thing to look for is flex in the rails. The Piranha has unsupported rails. Look at the short axis with 2 rails about 4" apart. If one rail flexes in 0.01" and the other rail flexes out 0.01, then the relative movement is 0.02". The tip of the router is about 12" away, so it would have 0.06" of movement. Of course, the rails might not flex that much because they are so short. It would be good to check it out in person. See how easy it is to lift the head with slight pressure.

The long rails can also flex, but the movement at the router tip is reduced because the head is between the rails.

The $5K machines all have supported rails that are significantly more robust. There is no measurable flex in them. They look like really nice machines if you could afford one of them.
    Steve

Thanks Steve, I know those machines are not equal to the commercial ones and I have a small machine shop so I know about flex. But I do not plan to be doing cabinet or standard doors, I was hoping to hear from some actual users as to how reliable they are?

I believe the Shark comes with V Carve desktop

I have a Shark. I bought the Black Diamond version about 5 years ago. Its served me well in my hobby shop. I wanted an entry level machine to tinker with, so far its done what I have asked of it so I haven't found the need to upgrade it yet. It comes with Vcarve.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Newman View Post
    I have a Shark. I bought the Black Diamond version about 5 years ago. Its served me well in my hobby shop. I wanted an entry level machine to tinker with, so far its done what I have asked of it so I haven't found the need to upgrade it yet. It comes with Vcarve.
    Well I am trying to decide to get one like yours with a bigger work area, or just get the 12x24 inch I was planning on. My other CNC router was the smaller size and it was about right. But with the larger size which is only about $500 more I could do cabinet door fronts, maybe.

So now the Shark II is coming out. My question on all the New Wave stuff is what appears to be a wimpy power supply and now the flex.

I see the Chinese 6040 machines built with all aluminum frame and steel rails, but I know they have very poor controls that are suppose to be Mach 3 but USB. I had a Chinese CNC blue diode laser and it was cr@p for controls and power supply so I am assuming these would be the same.

I see Automation Technologies carry some units that run off Mach 3 or 4 and they can sell you a copy of Mach 3 software along with cables to go from usb to DB25

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I see Automation Technologies carry some units that run off Mach 3 or 4 and they can sell you a copy of Mach 3 software along with cables to go from usb to DB25
    I will check those out. I would like to buy US made but the Shark with the plastic and bolted together aluminum has to have a lot of flex, not to mention what seems like a pretty small power supply. I can find no spec's on the PS or motors. The 6040Z-S80 3 Axis with Mach 3 control looks interesting on Amazon but its 220 volt so I would need to make up a power cord. My concern is Mach 3 on a Chinese machine but VCarve has a post processor so I am assuming those machines are out there.

I just checked out the Automation Tech machines, impressed, thanks,
    Last edited by Bill George; 12-10-2017 at 9:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I just ordered the 6040 CNC Router from John today. It was at least $1000 less than the other one I was considering and from my research perhaps better! Thanks for the tip!! PS your PM mailbox is full.

Check out Axiom Precision.
    https://www.axiomprecision.com/

I +1 that. My Axiom is fantastic... and accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by ed vitanovec View Post
    Check out Axiom Precision.
    https://www.axiomprecision.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Kaslowski View Post
    I +1 that. My Axiom is fantastic... and accurate.
    That's what I'm currently considering and I like that the computer doesn't need to live in the shop with Axiom. I keep looking a other "comparable" machines from other vendors and keep coming back to Axiom.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Here is what I ended up with and purchased from a US Vender with support, also added an Mach3 Ethernet controller UC400ETH, and ordering a USB pendent from a US company. Very happy with the Router, built very strong much better than the one I had a few years ago from a company who made them in Michigan. I updated my VCarve Pro to V9 and I guess what more could I want? Its, fast and accurate works fine. I did not have $6000 to buy one of the Industrial grade routers. I have about $2,200 invested. I have ordered from this Vender before and I ordered in the morning, that afternoon it was shipped FedEx, next day at 2 pm I was unpacking it! I have tweaked the setup file for Mach3 and will be happy to furnish via email. PS I have always had a computer in the shop to run one machine or another, simple mine are all laptops.... I just close the lid when the dust is being made. On this machine I will have that pendent to use also. Files come on a USB stick or created on the same laptop.

https://www.automationtechnologiesin...engraving-110/

The USA based vender for the Pendent Mach3> http://www.vistacnc.com/index.htm
    Last edited by Bill George; 01-04-2018 at 3:20 PM.

I went to the link you provided and the specs look very good for the asking price. I have owned a Camaster for a while but I would like to hear how this one works and hope you will provide updates from time to time.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 01-04-2018 at 7:56 PM.