Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: (new) Rough Cut

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    Not to change the subject, but do folks here get/watch the “Woodsmith Shop” and what are your thoughts? Everyone likes Norm, but my favorite was David Marks’ WoodWorks show on the DIY channel. Some really top-notch work, lots of variety.
    I liked Woodworks too, although I liked Norm better. Those are the only two woodworking shows I've archived in their entirety.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    I liked Woodworks too, although I liked Norm better. Those are the only two woodworking shows I've archived in their entirety.
    +1 on NYW. Still watch Norm's now and then; his is entertainment (skills and techniques...long past them). Everything else does not interest me much because the host is not Norm. Bias...yes!

Simon

Blog Entries
    I've never understood how they paid for those shows,

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    The annual beg-a-thon? Government money?

I love Tommy Mac. He may be goofy at times and high energy at others but he's real. I hope he lands something elsewhere.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Blog Entries
    I preferred Tommy Mac over Norm by a lot. Unfortunately he didn’t really get to show his best side with the short format shows. I wish the best for the new one.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I liked Tommy Mac too, but wasn't interested in a lot of his projects. He lost me on the new shop build - furnishing the inside of the shop would have been more interesting. I like the Woodsmith show because they cover more than one thing in an episode.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Do you remember the sponsor ad at the beginning of every NYWS show from Porter Cable and Delta? There's your answer.

That show was produced by the Boston PBS affiliate WGBH. So their annual fund drive may have contributed also. Many PBS shows receive funds through grants from charitable trusts and foundations, often mentioned at the beginning or end of the show so there may have been some of that type of sponsorship in the background also.

Rough Cut's primary sponsor was Woodcraft. Don't know how much of the budget that actually covered though.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    It was one of the wood working shows that my wife was willing to watch. My guess is that my wife appreciated his appearance, but it could be because it was less technique than some of the others. She considers the guy on the Woodrights Shop to be clever from a linguistic point of view, but, the rest of the family runs away when I put it on.
    Roy is a great guy, lots of knowledge and talent, but I can't watch the Woodwrights Shop. Wears me out just to watch him going 6000 miles an hour non stop.
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    I preferred Tommy Mac over Norm by a lot. Unfortunately he didn’t really get to show his best side with the short format shows. I wish the best for the new one.
    I agree, doing a whole project in that short format, even with the quick delivery of Tommy Mac, left a lot uncovered.

I've been watching the build on Tommy's new shop and I have really been enjoying the slower pace. And he's building that place first class! I wonder how he's feeling about having built the new shop and then getting replaced?
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Who can doubt the brilliance of foresight and ideal timing to get Tommy's new shop fully outfitted with top-notch woodworking equipment all for free! My bet is that they already sensed that change was in the wind and planned the private workshop build while his "stock" and recognition factor was still sailing "high". It was clearly not in any way intended to readily facilitate a production and filming crew, the new quarters are ideally suited for an individual craftsman and perhaps a single guest visitor. The venue of their former production was leased space. You can be certain that any "Rough Cut" episodes going forward will not be recorded within that workshop T. MacD. helped to build. Expect that property is fully owned by he and the spouse.
    Last edited by Morey St. Denis; 12-14-2017 at 5:31 PM.

trailer

Got this from Tom McL a couple days ago to share wgbh.cimediacloud.com/r/mOKDww Seems to me the show will go in a direction that all levels may find relevant, regardless of the specific projects involved.
    Last edited by Mike Krueger; 01-15-2018 at 3:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Evans View Post
    Roy is a great guy, lots of knowledge and talent, but I can't watch the Woodwrights Shop. Wears me out just to watch him going 6000 miles an hour non stop.

I have to agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    Me too, I remember watching him back in his blog days. Found him by accident. Was great. 30 min (22 about) just way to short.