Thread: Hickory 2" slabs...I have three that are 10' long....

Hickory 2" slabs...I have three that are 10' long....

Thinking about using these for a project, but it's going to be quite awhile and I hate for the to sit in the shop all that time if someone could use them sooner. Cut them on my sawmill a couple of weeks ago. They range from 16" to 20" wide. One of them I can use right away, the other two I can either use later if they do not sell. Asking $400 each or $700 for two. Located in Elmo just east of Dallas [44 miles]. I can deliver to Dallas or within a 60 mile radius of Terrell once purchase has been made at no extra charge.Please text 214-435-9574 for photos and details.
    Texas Red's Sawmill
    Kelly Hanna Woodworks
    Elmo [East of Terrell], Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Hanna View Post
    Thinking about using these for a project, but it's going to be quite awhile and I hate for the to sit in the shop all that time if someone could use them sooner. Cut them on my sawmill a couple of weeks ago. They range from 16" to 20" wide. One of them I can use right away, the other two I can either use later if they do not sell. Asking $400 each or $700 for two. Located in Elmo just east of Dallas [44 miles]. I can deliver to Dallas or within a 60 mile radius of Terrell once purchase has been made at no extra charge.Please text 214-435-9574 for photos and details.
    Just an idea: you might post some photos so people can see what they would get, shape, edge, figure. Some hickory has nice color and figure, some not.

(I'm sawing ERC now but have some hickory logs that are next.)

JKJ

Are these really fresh cut? My understanding is most hardwoods need 1 year per inch to air dry so a couple of years before they're stable enough to be usable. Obviously, kiln drying can speed the process. Photos would help. Wet the wood down with mineral spirits to show figure.

Well I would love to post pics, but I am locked out of my website due to a software issue. With virtually no spare time to create an outside account and no way to upload directly into a thread on this forum [that I know of anyway], pics just won't happen. That's why I asked for texts to get photos. The slabs were cut in early November on the 11th iirc.

I have no kiln, these were down a few weeks before I milled them, I think they were cut down in August if memory serves [was told by the client].

Great tip about the mineral spirits trick....thanks!
    Texas Red's Sawmill
    Kelly Hanna Woodworks

Well I would love to post pics, but I am locked out of my website due to a software issue. With virtually no spare time to create an outside account and no way to upload directly into a thread on this forum [that I know of anyway], pics just won't happen.
    You can easily upload photos to this forum. Here is one from my sawmill:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cedar_P9064287es.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	373207

All you have to do is download the photos from your camera to your computer, edit if desired, perhaps reduce the file size, and click on the "Insert Image" icon button. If you try this and have problems just ask.

JKJ

Name:	20171118_140620.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	220.4 KB 
ID:	373211

Weird. I clicked on it before and it only had a link section, click on it this morning and there's the upload choice. Thanks! I will get better pics from the phone tonite after work and post them.

Name:	20171118_140730.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	373212
    Texas Red's Sawmill
    Kelly Hanna Woodworks

Weird. I clicked on it before and it only had a link section, click on it this morning and there's the upload choice. Thanks! I will get better pics from the phone tonite after work and post them.
    There should be two tabs, "From Computer" and "From URL". It's different in a PM and maybe elsewhere on the forum, I don't know.

Just FYI, there's another option if you want larger pictures in your message but don't want to put them on a web site: upload them to a photo album you create here and link from there. For example:

instead of the thumbnail

Name:	log_house_compIMG_5070.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	373213

I open a new tab and navigate to the album, click on the photo uploaded there and copy the BB Code text into the message. I use the Standard Editor -- I don't know if it works the same with the Enhanced WYSIWYG. Note, to use the Standard Editor you may have to access the forum without using the HTTPS which will also take care of the wonky quote codes in your messages. (Try http://www.sawmillcreek.org instead of https://www.sawmillcreek.org . To switch editors at the top right of the page choose Settings/General settings/Standard Editor/save changes)

JKJ

Cool, thank you John.
    Texas Red's Sawmill
    Kelly Hanna Woodworks

Those are some nice looking slabs.