Thread: Ugly but effective Dust Collector retrofit is completed

Ugly but effective Dust Collector retrofit is completed

Thanks to all for the suggestions on metal vs PVC (another thread).

I finally finished this “small” project which turned out to be a lot more work than planned (LOL). It looks ugly and awkward but it works slick as grease and is quick to service.

The Oneida super duty XL cyclone is now married to my 8 year old 3 HP dual bag cyclone with a Rubbermaid Brute dust chip container, all on wheels. The whole unit can be wheeled out of the corner for maintenance or I can just raise the cyclone with lid to empty the Brute container.

A couple of comments on the cyclone lifting; the duct has to be removed from the DC (note the bungee cords) and then the cyclone can be easily lifted with the 3 string bridle and lifting blocks. On the duct I left one swivel connection on one duct corner unsealed so it can pivot to allow the lift. The whole process takes 10 seconds to disconnect duct, lift cyclone and remove container; sweet ;-).

Two problems; the bag liner collapses inside the dust chip container and I am working on a solution. 2nd issue, the Brute garbage can collapses if I close two of the ports. I should have upgrade to a strong 45 gal plastic drum.

Readings, I get about 400cfm at the end of a 20 ft flex with a second port wide open (depends how i hold the meter)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats. Hopefully the DC will work better for you.

I'll give you two more suggestions to improve the airflow. The first is quick and easy and the second is for the next time you redo it.

First is to cut out that grate in the DC inlet. Now that you have a Cyclone in front there won't be any rags or sticks getting to the impeller and it will breath way better.

Second is to make a strong frame and flip the DC over and mount it in the frame. Now the motor and impeller will be at the same height as the to of the cyclone. You'll have to disconnect the bag rings and turn them right way around again. If you were to move the cyclone in front of the DC you would only have a single ninety degree elbow and a short straight pipe into the impeller. Admittedly this won't make a huge improvement but it's better than 3 elbows and longer pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    First is to cut out that grate in the DC inlet. Now that you have a Cyclone in front there won't be any rags or sticks getting to the impeller and it will breath way better.
    I've only just recently converted my system to using a Dust Deputy, and find things like rags and paper (from the foil tape while assembling things) does actually get through. 5" 24ga metal pipe all the way to the DD (narrower normal flex hose at the far end), and apparently the velocity inside that is so great (or so light it never slowed?) it keeps that stuff suspended long and high enough to exit at the top. Since that exits into the canister filter, the paper wrapped around the cross bar and was flapping madly.
    Little chance of large bits of wood doing that, but light rags and paper stuff, better than average chance, I'd suggest, based on my short experience.

Blog Entries
    Be sure to have a perfect seal between the bin & the plate at the bottom of the cyclone. Very little leakage there can result in lots of dust getting through the cyclone & clogging the filters prematurely.