Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: List of replacement impellers for HF dust collector?

New Rikon impeller installed! In my HF DC system!

stats:

My Altitude 1970 feet above Mean Sea level.
    temapture 71 degrees.

HF impeller 10.0 inches in Diameter
    Rikon 11 7/8 inches in Diameter

Vertical blade height both HF and Rikon 3 3/8

IMG_0144.jpg

weight: HF 4.6 lbs.
    Rikon 7.0 lbs

see previous post from me on difference's of my system compared to a stock HF single stage D.C.

With the new impeller installed:

Water Colum is how I measured the performance. Note WC is with my current 5 inch ducting with one blast gate open.
    Currently I have a very short run of 5 HVAC duct 8 feet pretty crude right now. The bends look like 90's here but they are more like two 45's more refinement will come in the ducting for better performance.
    Rikon 6.0 inches WC
    HF 4.0 inch WC

IMG_0148.jpg

Amp draw:

HF impeller 10.8
    Rikon 12.5 after running the D.C. System for 30 minutes the motor was not any warmer than with the HF blower so for me
    the HF motor is handling the extra load of the new impeller in spite of the larger mass and the impeller direction.

Over all I am happy! However if I had it to do over knowing what I know now I would spend more money
    and have a 3-5 Hp DC system with a two stages and six inch ducting with long sweeps.
    I have learned a lot and I have had fun doing it! that is what is important to me.

I started this adventure with a shop vac and a home brew Cyclone that works very well.
    IMG_0149.jpg
    The original objective was to stop tracking saw dust into the house, and now it has evolved into keeping my health.

One other observation the same as others have noted the sound level with this impeller is slightly louder, I should have taken a DB reading! Oh well, however the audio frequency is different, to me it is slightly a higher frequency.
    The the spool down time of the impeller is longer due to the extra mass, who care right?

if you are on a budget and can build this over time I say it is well worth it to follow the path I did.
    After all I use one tool at the time like most do. And my Bench dog does not track saw dust into the house.

Scooby my Bench Dog

IMG_1453.jpg
    Dang I hate when that happens photo on it's side!

How do you build, hook up, and measure with the water column gauge?

Also did you measure your setup without that flex?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    How do you build, hook up, and measure with the water column gauge?
    See DIY Tyler G on YouTube https://youtu.be/a9l9e8PwgEs

in this video Tyler make a Manometer to measure the pressure in the filter unit. If the pressure increases the filter is clogging and it is time to blow it out.
    on the suction side I made the same U tube and connected to the input side of my Supper Dust Deputy

IMG_0134.jpg
    Last edited by Lane Hardy; 12-09-2017 at 5:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Also did you measure your setup without that flex?
    Hi Mike,

Do you mean where the flex connects to the metal ducting at the Supper Dust Deputy?
    On the oposit end? flex duct is not connected to anything when I made the messurement just and open flex line.
    Last edited by Lane Hardy; 12-09-2017 at 6:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane Hardy View Post

If you had to purchase the items above you would have about $750.00 into the project.
    me I would look into a real 3 HP system with a two stage Cyclone separation system with a hepa filter equal to the Wynn 35A
    Reading your post I had to think... why would anyone go though all that and still have something based on a HF tool! Then I found your answer.
    Yeah, a Grizzly 1.5hp is $950 delivered, but I expect it would perform rather better.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Reading your post I had to think... why would anyone go though all that and still have something based on a HF tool! Then I found your answer.
    Yeah, a Grizzly 1.5hp is $950 delivered, but I expect it would perform rather better.
    Comparable would be the 1.5HP Mini Gorilla from Onieda (1,150.00+tax+shipping).

Thanks for showing that video. I doubt i could install it on my setup without major work. Heck i dont own anything i could cover my filters with anyway.

Do you hf mod guys not look for deals and make offers on used cyclone collectors? My cyclone I got this past year for $1400. Its a bigun and not for just anyone but I know that the place on ebay in euclid ohio had 10 or more 3hp shopfox cyclones they let go for ~$800 this year. Some needed a few parts but you would be miles ahead in performance and maybe in less physical space requirements.

I looked for about a year for a D.C. For sale here in Texas few Wood workers in West Texas with out chasing possible systems around the country it was not worth a hunting trip.
    I was given the HF DC so my investment was the Supper Dust Deputy a Wynn35A filter and a Rikon impeller.
    It is not a 5 hp unit but does the job I need with plenty of air movement for 1 device at the time.