Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Show me your turning tool storage setups

Show me your turning tool storage setups

The Laguna 18-36 should be here tomorrow. Since I am getting into this area head first and will soon need a system to store all the tools etc.Some ideas will be helpful.I saw someone use the space under the bed for storing tools - cant find the thread anymore. Anyway... thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

tool storage

Lathe tools 2.jpg

I went inexpensive using PVC and MDF on top of a tool cabinet. Bottom of PVC is open so not to trap shavings in PVC. Their are a million ways to do it. Please post photos when you find yours.

It may have been the thread I posted reviewing the Revo 1836 where you saw the under bed storage, but in any event, I have attached a pic for you. The larger "box" under the drawers is a ballast box containing four 60# bags of sand. The tool racks I have are based on a design used by some earlier creekers and a PDF is attached on their construction. Easy to make out of scrap stock and functional. The plastic bins are where I store sandpaper - both discs and sheet stock that I have cut into 12 pieces per sheet. Feel free to email me if you have any questions. As I may have commented before - great choice on a lathe and you are going to really enjoy it. In the pic of the lathe, you will notice I have the headstock moved to the end of the lathe. I just finished a 24" offset platter using the bed extension accessory - so glad I got that!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Left click my name for homepage link.

Kind of rudimentary, but was simple enough that I could do it!

lathe tools.jpg

image.jpgVery simple and inexpensive----works very well for me.

I've migrated to the rolling tool chest approach. Grinder op top with tools around the sides.

img_20170625_183754.jpg

I use a rolling tool cart that has a flip up lid. On the under side of the lid, I bolted two horizontal magnetic strip tool holders. When I am using the lathe, the lid is open and I put the tools I am using on the magnetic strips. Holds them vertical. No banging the tips into other tools or pvc cubbies, etc. The tools I use the most are right there in plain view. I can roll the cart right up to where I am working so the tools are less than an arms length away. No looking down, reaching across or bending over. The other drawers in the cart hold chucks, abrasives, face plates, friction polish, CA glue, pencils and screws etc. added a rack on the side for paper towels. The bottom shelf holds small turning stock. My drill press and grinder are on another rolling stand. there is a guy here that buys and sells radial arm saw parts. he strips the saws for parts and gets $10 per for the stands. So I took a stand and bolted a plywood top and then fastened the drill press and grinder to that. Everything in my shop is on casters. makes it easier to move to clean up.

Don't forget that "tools" are more than gouges, skews, and scrapers! Those actually take less space for me than all the other things I use when turning (and I have a lot of tools with handles!).

My primary lathe space is configured so everything I commonly use is with arm's reach or withing about three steps. I have tools on the wall behind the lathe, on a side wall, in a cabinet with drawers with a shelf and a mechanic's toolbox on top for small things, and in drawers and shelves and another tool rack in a workbench just behind where I stand. Finishes and small supplies on shelves and a tall cabinet another three steps from the lathe. Drill press, bandsaw, and sharpening also close to the two lathes. There are also high shelves around the entire turning alcove.

I don't have pictures of the cabinets and workbench storage but this shows the primary tools behind and to the right at my main lathe and you might see a bit of some of the cabinets in the last photo:

lathe_PM2_Jan17_IMG_5751.jpg lathe_PM_cu2_IMG_5751.jpg WV_boys_IMG_20170319_154641_356.jpg

I really like putting my most-used handled tools horizontally (and within easy reach) -- it makes them easy to see. I keep all the skews together, etc. I slipped short lengths of plastic tubing on deck screws in plywood for supports. (easy to adjust)

JKJ

My turning tools are on a wall behind my lathe, about 5' between the wall and lathe. Below is a small section of peg board to hang other turning "things". Under the lathe (above 280# sand ballast) are pull out shelves (no sides, fronts or backs) that have been drilled to make the chucks, centers etc., captive. I have a nice area below the ways to lay tools. Totally happy with this arrangement.

IMG_0992.JPG IMG_0990.jpg
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Here is my little Turning Corner of my shop. Turning tools are to my right side so I can reach them without leaning in over a potentially turning work piece. The lathe accessories are in front of me within easy reach and also behind the door under the lathe. Very functional and my favourite space, maybe in the whole world.....

This is a Husky from HD for $120.00. I store my tools in the drawers as well as my chuck and sanding supplies. I also made a sharpening station from the crate of my Griz G0766. On the Husky I left the wheels and handle off, not sure how much room you have under the Laguna but it fits perfect under my Griz.

IMG_0346.jpgIMG_0479 (Copy).JPG
    Last edited by Robert Willing; 12-06-2017 at 11:16 PM.

Little trays

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Fabricius View Post
    Here is my little Turning Corner of my shop. Turning tools are to my right side so I can reach them without leaning in over a potentially turning work piece. The lathe accessories are in front of me within easy reach and also behind the door under the lathe. Very functional and my favourite space, maybe in the whole world.....
    Peter, I see you make good use of a little flat table near the end of the lathe. I do that to - so useful for small tools, bits of sandpaper and things while working.

I experimented with a couple of designs and hit on this one:

tool_tray.jpg

It has a block that fits nicely in the slot on the bed so I can easily move it either in front or behind the tailstock when needed. I put short sides on it to keep tools from rolling off but left the ends open. A bit of thin carpet is a cushion. I made one for each lathe, a different block since the slot on the PM is wider than the Jet. I also have one with more space that hooks into the bed but I didn't get a picture.

SO handy!

I've been planing to make another for the top of the lathe like you also have but I want to include an arm rest for when I use the "left-hand" steady for thin spindles.

It looks like you make great use of your space!!

JKJ

Congratulations on the Laguna 1836. I had under the lathe storage on a Powermatic that started with a basic shelf, then a tool box. Presently I am liking no shelf or storage under the lathe in trade for the ease of cleaning up but either way works.

To the left I utilize some wall space for lesser used items, then a double door cabinet that helps keep stuff clean and stores alot of items that would take miles of wall space. Underneath, a cabinet for more stuff like chucks and tools i thought I needed. I try not to put much behind the lathe because of the slinging of debris and the temptation to reach for something while the lathe is spinning. If you only work on smaller dry items that might not be an issue , the tarp behind my lathe is easy to throw away and replace when it gets bad.

My vacuum hookup and compressed air are located in the drop down above the headstock, the pump is in another room where the compressor is located. This saves space, cuts down on noise, and the equipment stays cleaner.

On the tailstock end, a couple of the racks copied from some plans that have been floating around. They work well, you can just grab a tool out or drop in and they stay put because of the slanted base.

<p>
    JKJ, Did/do you work at ORNL? I was a coop at Y-12 way back in the time when left handed grass was being invented.</p>

Mine is a wall mount behind the lathe. About five feet long, 32" tall, and 13" deep.
    Guess you would call it a double double door; the outer doors are hinged to the inner doors which are hinged to the cabinet. Shelf depth in the cabinet is 5.5". I used pegboard for the door panels so items can be placed on both sides. The four doors give 16 feet of linear storage using the inside and outside. I can reach anything with a max two steps.
    First pic is doors closed, then outer doors open, then inner doors open, then shelves.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe