Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone use eucalyptus lumber?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    Do I assume that these are what is burning in California at the moment? Cheers
    Eucalyptus is burning in the windbreaks and some people’s yards. The hills are chapparal and Coastal and Valley Oaks (live oak). We lost some lemon and avocado ranches. Palm, eucalytus, sycamore and coastal oaks are the most common trees here. Open land is usually more chapparell than forest. Five miles from the Thomas Fire.

Windbreak Eucalyptus tends to be twisted live. When it is cut, it twists even more
    Last edited by Shawn Pixley; 12-10-2017 at 9:45 AM.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    My friend wants to give me a huge log/slab of eucalyptus that "is too beautiful for firewood."

Is it good for anything?
    Here's one possibility for eucalyptus. I did this for a friend, replaced a pine 1x12 with a eucalyptus slab. She was pretty happy.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

That is very nice, Julie. I am not usually a fan of live edges, but this works for me.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Julie, do you know which species of eucalyptus that is? Do you know where it grew?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Julie, do you know which species of eucalyptus that is? Do you know where it grew?
    All I know is it's curly eucalyptus. We got it from Connecticut Wood Group in Enfield, CT. You may be able to call them and find out more. Ask for Dave (owner) or John.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Julie, curly eucalyptus is a description I have never heard before. The bench looks good.
    Bill, the video of the tree climber up a blue gum is impressive. Those trees must love where they are growing.
    If technology hasn't defeated me, here are a couple of pictures from the back paddock. The E.globulus is the one with an almost white bark. It's a baby as our bush is all regrowth that is no more than 25 years old. The tree is about 2 feet in diameter at the base and about 80 feet tall. The other picture is of a messmate that was never worth milling. It is about 170 feet high. The hollow in the trunk doesn't look much but the tree is 12 feet in diameter and you can pitch a tent inside it and sleep 3 people in it. Our bush is full of stumps this size.
    I'm not sure where the idea comes from that blue gum is not very durable. A bluegum strainer post will last 30 years. A messmate one by comparison will last 5 years. Its probably a function of where is grows and what the pests are where it is used.
    Time to stop boring everyone. There are only about another 200 eucalyptus species to talk about.... Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.