Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A small Neander project using some scraps

Blog Entries

A small Neander project using some scraps

Years ago, a member of my church made scroll sawn wood cutouts of Bible characters for the children to use in Sunday School. During the hurricanes, the church basement flooded, and some of the items were damaged beyond repair. I always had admired this guy's contribution. There were boxes and boxes of various little people and wooden scenes.

I was elated when I was asked to replace one of the pieces- a bethlehem scene. They needed it for this Sunday, and I was told last Sunday. They had a pattern that I was to follow- apparently they have a book of scrollsaw projects. Unfortunately, I still do not have power- 89 days without power and counting. So- Neander it would be.

I know SMC has a "no religion" policy, but there is an important part of my wood choices that I need to explain- I will do so matter-of-factly only to explain the wood choices. I am respectful of the rules- only describing my wood choices here. The roofs are bloodwood to symbolize the Blood of Christ. The buildings are flamed maple to symbolize the Holy Spirit (often represented as a flame) living within. I used woods from around the globe to symbolize the spread of God's love.

I made it as plans showed, but I feel the star looks crooked and needs to have the long point down. I think they wanted a whimsical look. Also I would have changed some of the doors and shapes to be more balanced. I decided just to follow the plan as is.

All cuts made with LN dovetail and carcass saw and curves chiseled and then filed smooth. I couldn't find my scroll saw blades!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I think the star looks fine, the long point is pointing to the the door. Good theme and choice of woods. Great project especially with 89 days of no power and only vary basic hand tools. Good job.
    Chet

Blog Entries
    Nice work Malcolm.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Very nicely done Malcolm. It is also a very kind thing for you to do for others as I am sure you are under considerable need to accomplish many things at this time.
    Jim

I don't think its possible to deliver real hope in a whimsical way. It's looks glorious. That maple makes good gold leaf! Glad you let us enjoy it.

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys, and by the way, I meant coping blades, not scroll saw. After this project, I am itching for a scroll saw. I wish I could find an old treadle saw- and not because of the power outage or any Neander bravado- I have always wanted one. I think it would be a very relaxing way to work; less noise and the pumping of the treadle would be a good stress reliever.

I recently noticed one near me “treadle saw” for sale.

It was very very nice and rare. I think the seller wanted $450. I almost purchased it but instead purchased a pile of lumber.

I can look for the post on CL again and you could see if he will shit it?

Really well done, Malcolm! Gives me great inspiration for things to do with my cut offs. Man, I really feel for you not having power for that long. I can’t even imagine. My best to you and the family for a wonderful neander Christmas.

Great project and contribution. Though a bit ironic to say this forum, I do hope you get your power back soon!

Also, I too would love a treadle scroll saw, but am very happy with my current one, which makes not much more noise than a sewing machine.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    I recently noticed one near me “treadle saw” for sale.

It was very very nice and rare. I think the seller wanted $450. I almost purchased it but instead purchased a pile of lumber.

I can look for the post on CL again and you could see if he will shit it?
    Hopefully you meant "ship" it. :-) Thanks, but I have sunk a ton of money into a shop makeover with slatwall storage and I have more than exhausted my tool fund, and my wife's willingness to forgive.

I like it Malcolm. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Years ago, a member of my church made scroll sawn wood cutouts of Bible characters for the children to use in Sunday School. During the hurricanes, the church basement flooded, and some of the items were damaged beyond repair. I always had admired this guy's contribution. There were boxes and boxes of various little people and wooden scenes.

I was elated when I was asked to replace one of the pieces- a bethlehem scene. They needed it for this Sunday, and I was told last Sunday. They had a pattern that I was to follow- apparently they have a book of scrollsaw projects. Unfortunately, I still do not have power- 89 days without power and counting. So- Neander it would be.

I know SMC has a "no religion" policy, but there is an important part of my wood choices that I need to explain- I will do so matter-of-factly only to explain the wood choices. I am respectful of the rules- only describing my wood choices here. The roofs are bloodwood to symbolize the Blood of Christ. The buildings are flamed maple to symbolize the Holy Spirit (often represented as a flame) living within. I used woods from around the globe to symbolize the spread of God's love.

I made it as plans showed, but I feel the star looks crooked and needs to have the long point down. I think they wanted a whimsical look. Also I would have changed some of the doors and shapes to be more balanced. I decided just to follow the plan as is.

All cuts made with LN dovetail and carcass saw and curves chiseled and then filed smooth. I couldn't find my scroll saw blades!
    Looks great Malcolm. 89 days without even a generator for power? Its incredible that this is taking so long.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Looks great Malcolm. 89 days without even a generator for power? Its incredible that this is taking so long.
    90% of the poles were down after the first storm. I would say that those remaining were not in the best of shape. They are basically having to rewire the whole island. I knew immediately when I walked outside after the storm that we would be at least 3 months without power, and I was gearing up for up to 6 months. The goal is 90% power restoration by Christmas.

I do have a little 3600W portable generator that we use to run the fridge and charge the batteries. Typically we run it two times a day for about two hours each time.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    90% of the poles were down after the first storm. I would say that those remaining were not in the best of shape. They are basically having to rewire the whole island. I knew immediately when I walked outside after the storm that we would be at least 3 months without power, and I was gearing up for up to 6 months. The goal is 90% power restoration by Christmas.

I do have a little 3600W portable generator that we use to run the fridge and charge the batteries. Typically we run it two times a day for about two hours each time.
    Simple, everyday conveniences such as running hot water??? I can't imagine an entire island of people living without today's modern conveniences for a week let alone 3 months and counting. It would seem the whole system would break down into a sort of wild wild west. Its simply inconceivable.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Simple, everyday conveniences such as running hot water??? I can't imagine an entire island of people living without today's modern conveniences for a week let alone 3 months and counting. It would seem the whole system would break down into a sort of wild wild west. Its simply inconceivable.
    Good day, Pat. Don't read this the wrong way, but you live in the land of plenty. We are used to not always having amenities. I have an on-demand propane hot water heater that I can hook up to the generator (it needs 120 to run the sensors) and have hot water. I've only done that maybe three times since the storms, and that was because I was covered in paint or 3M 5200, or some other substance that I thought hot water might help get off. We are used to taking quick showers, and it's been so doggoned hot we really don't care if they are cold. We don't watch TV, so that's no issue. I am one of the fortunate ones that has city water- we only have that in the downtown area. The rest of the island is on cistern water and needs 120 to run their pump. I am fortunate- I have both a cistern and city water. For the few days I was without city water, I could dip a bucket to get water out of the cistern. At the time I didn't have a generator. Power goes out all the time on the island, but I never felt the need to get a generator. We just light candles and enjoy the peace and quiet, and go look at the stars. After the storms I got one because I figured it would be this long or longer. They are nowhere near my neighborhood, so I am probably going to be one of those that doesn't get power by Christmas. We have A/C, but only use it when company comes to visit that aren't used to the heat. With the genny running the fridge enough to keep it cool, and Milwaukee cordless lights/fans/tools keeping us going at night, we are fine.

Since most folks have cisterns, we are used to not flushing the toilet unless you have to (if it's yellow, let it mellow, if it's brown, flush it down) and taking quick showers where you wet yourself, turn off the water, soap up, then rinse. Again, I am fortunate as we have city water, but for 12 years I lived off cistern water only. During that time I was in a huge place with plenty of roof and never had to worry about running out of water. (More roof- more rain caught)

What is a pain is there is no phone system right now, so businesses that had land lines you can't reach. I needed to rent a steam cleaner. Had to drive across the island to personally ask if they had a steam cleaner. Since most businesses were only letting a few folks in at a time for security (no power- no security systems- no phone- no calling police), I had to wait outside forever just to find out they didn't have one. Also, since Home Depot was shut down for a month+ (still not fully open- selling only nescessities while they repair), and two other small hardware stores were damaged beyond repair, we had ONE mom and pop hardware store. Price gouging was rampant- $80 for a 5-gallon fuel jug. The governor threatened to pull the business license of any business caught price gouging. That helped. One thing for sure- when Home Depot reopens I will never shop at the one mom and pop store again after their price gouging. D batteries $3 each. Pffft.

All this said, I wouldn't trade it for the world. I am stronger and wiser, and my view of material things has changed. Heck, I DIDN'T EVEN BUY ANYTHING FROM LEE VALLEY FOR CYBER MONDAY!!!! That's a first. :-) Every person should be locked in a box with all their stuff and have it tossed by 180+mph winds, and when they emerge, they will take a new view of stuff.