Thread: What type of clamp is this?

What type of clamp is this?

What you see is what I have. So what do I have? This was given to me by a woman whose dad had been a woodworker. No name or trademark that I can see.image.jpg

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I've seen them called panel clamps, I think.
    I wear my mind on my sleeve; I have a history of losing my shirt! -BNL
    A woman's work is never done-but power tools help!

Yes, it's a panel clamp. In use, to assemble and glue many boards edge to edge the long pieces would go on the front and back surfaces of the boards to hold the boards in alignment with each other. The hand crank and other piece would go on the ends, catching the notches in the long pieces, so the hand crank can both push the boards together as well as force them into alignment with each other. These clamps are still available, and they are usually used several at a time, depending on how long the boards are that need to be glued together to form the panel. Having just one of these clamps doesn't do you much good. She quite likely has several more. It doesn't hurt to ask about them.

I use biscuits to keep my boards in alignment when gluing them up edge to edge to form panels and pipe or bar clamps to hold them together. Panel clamps will do both functions at the same time, but they tend to only be useful when assembling boards into panels..

Charley
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 12-06-2017 at 10:16 AM.

Panel clamp...puts pressure on both the edges and the faces to keep things flat during glue-ups.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...