Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Festool Guide Rails - 2 55" with connectors vs 1 116"

Ok. Several have suggested the Makita track. I will look into that. Thanks for the tip!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I just bought the long Makita track for my TS55 from toolnut.com for $174 (put it in cart to see the price). Couldn't be happier!

I've got both of the tracks for Makita, which I just sold. I'm probably going to end up buying another Makita track for the Mafell, but I bought two of their longest tracks to try the joiner. It seems like a better system than what Makita or Festool use, but we'll see.

The only thing I don't like about the long track is transportation. I haven't messed one up yet, but they're long and flimsy.

I am certain the longer track is easier to use. However I use two of the shorter tracks and take the time to carefully align them. I have no problems. However, on a jobsite or where time is money, the longer track makes sense. The longer track also needs to be stored properly to avoid damage.

Martin:

I think you'll find the Mafell track joins dead straight in 10 seconds.

I thought I would get a long track but it's so convenient to connect two there is no need. Likewise with the Bosch track/accessories, fully interchangable with the Mafell tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Kocher View Post
    It looks like a better system than the others, so my hopes are pretty high.

Yea, another vote for just get the longer track. I have two 55" rails, a 32" and a 75" and if I didnt have the other two to work with while the two 55s were tied up Id go nuts. Ill be selling my Betterley rail aligner and probably the second 55" rail soon to help fund one of the longer 8ft tracks.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Thill View Post
    I just bought the long Makita track for my TS55 from toolnut.com for $174 (put it in cart to see the price). Couldn't be happier!
    Says truck freight shipping required.

Long track is the way to go but if joining two tracks, get a 75” instead of another 55” if 5’x5’ Baltic birch is something that you use.

Makita usually runs a $25 off $100 or something like that around this time. You could probably have a track ordered from Home Depot and shipped to store for pickup for free. I got my Dewalt long track from Lowes this way years ago.

Joining tracks is where the Eurekazone.com EZ Smart tracks really shine. If you go to their Extrusions > Self Aligning Extrusion section (link below) and go to the 54" or 64" track listed near the bottom (I prefer the 64" for cutting 48" lengths of plywood, and then adding a 48" or 54" length track for cutting 96" lengths), you can see a diagram of the track's cross section. Note that the channels in the bottom of the rail have a dovetail shape. This unique feature pulls the tracks into alignment when the connectors are tightened. Typically just the two side-channel connectors are used to connect two tracks, but if the total length gets longer than 108" Eurekazone recommends using a center channel connector too.

Regardless, to be safe I always check the alignment using a long straight edge - such as a level or another length of track. So far I've not had to adjust the alignment.

64" track: http://www.eurekazone.com/product_p/ezxh736264.htm

Center channel connector: http://www.eurekazone.com/product_p/ezts7324cc.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Kocher View Post

Josh
    No alignment is necessary at all? They just butt together, and everything is true the entire length?
    I have the Festool TS75 and this was one aspect where I think they "fell down". For the $$$$ the Festool guide rails cost, they should have been machined better on the butt ends. The guide rails, along with the vacuum, are the heart of their system.
    I find it very annoying to have to align the guide rails.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I've been using two 55" pieces for about a year now. I don't use the saw on an every day basis and, so far, this is working fine for me. Yes, it does take a few extra seconds to join and check the tracks (mine have never been significantly off when put together), but at this point that seems easier and cheaper than buying and finding a safe place to store the long track.

Anyone tried the Mafell folding track?

I looked around for it on the Euro sites and no longer see the hinged track listed. Must not have been the cats meow. Now they have a flexible track, does not interest me.
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 12-03-2017 at 8:53 AM.

Who here seriously believes that 2 connected tracks are as precise and durable as a single long one? Come on!
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."