Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginners turning tools

Beginners turning tools

Hi Everyone,

I just recently picked up a used Craftsman 12" lathe very inexpensively. I have not done any turning since high school, and am excited to get a chance to try it again. The lathe came with a few tools, but I do not have a 3/4" gouge which I thought might be very useful.

Any other recommendations? Are there any brands I should stay away from? I expect to buy a "basic" set so I have a set of decent tools to start learning again. I welcome any and all recommendations, thanks in advance!
    Last edited by John Bouthiette; 05-21-2008 at 3:41 PM.
    - John

Woodworking is my ticket to sanity!

Did you know SMC is user supported? http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php Please help.

Harbor Frieght

They have a decent set of HSS tools that has a 3/4 gouge for about $50. I have a set and am very happy with them.

The set that comes with a Shopsmith aren't terrible. You might find a cheap set of those on the Bay or CL.

John welcome and a quick warning, that will be a very expensive lathe by the time your done. Chucks, face plates, tools, more tools, big bandsaw, chainsaw, sharpening station, sandpaper, finishing products, beal buffing set-up.....ect.... say good bye to your money now....good luck
    PS what type of work are you planning on, spindle or bowl? I just picked up Ci1 tool love it, great for roughing and no sharpening. Watch his video's, nice tool.

John!

I hope you won't get trapped into the "spindle" set. These usually come in sets of six or eight, and are too short and not of much use for anything other tan spindle work. Take a hard look at the "Benjamens best " line at PSI they are a super value for the money. As to specific tools, you have to decide what you want to turn, and then read the descriptions in the catalogs. Another great value tool is the Doug Thompson line. They heve the best steel available at seriously reduced prices from every one else of the same quality. Welcome to the vortex, and you now know why we all it that if you didn't already.
    Bob

John this is the first set I got for around $60 2 yrs ago. I still use all of them today. Real nice set.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/lchss8.html
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

John I ditto what Bernie says.

Dennis

Thanks Everyone!

All,

I would like to thank you for your input, it is very valuable.

As far as what type of turing I would like to take on, that remains to be seen. I have plans to turn some spindles that I will split for the front of a display cabinet I am working on currently. Bowl turning certainly looks like it could be fun and a challenge, and I am definitely interested in learning both!
    - John

Woodworking is my ticket to sanity!

Did you know SMC is user supported? http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php Please help.

If yo have a Harbor Frieght in your area I would recommend that you purchase there HSS turning set. It has about 8 tools in it and it is a great beginner set. The only problem with that set is that it does not have a bowl gouge in it and so for turning the inside of a bowl it not in your best interest. You can do it with those tool but it is easier with a bowl gouge that you can pick up at either Craft Supply USA. Woodcraft or Rocklers.

I would also recommend that you check to see if there is a wood turning club in your area and join it. then you can find out where there are classed available in your area that you may want to take.

Best Whishes

I'll 2nd the Harbor Freight set BUT check out Thompson Lathe tools for you bowl gouge and other tools. Doug can be found here shoot him an email and ask him a few questions.

Lathe tools are great, but as I learned today, nothing beats a good sharpening station to make them even better...

I turned years ago and just starting back in, I decided to do it right. Bought the woodturners sharpening system from my local woodcraft store and sharpened my skew chisel and for the first time I can remember, it worked! Took awhile to grind down my previous sharpening disasters but now I get beautiful ribbons of waste material.

Have fun, I am.

doug

Fly on the wall

Hey Guys, I am in the same boat as John only my cheap lathe is a ShopSmith. I know my work will be limited on this but I thought I would pick up some tools and give it a go. I want to make a couple lamp bases (upside down bowls) out of some Koa or Teak that I have.

The price of the set Bernie linked too seems like a great deal...Question;
    Why are the same type sets at, say, Woodcraft or even sears so much more $$$? Is the steel that much better? Why the disparity ?

Thanks
    Colin

Ask the hand tools forum, why they paid so much for a Lie-Nielsen or Veritas hand plane over a Groz, which Woodcraft carries as well.
    Gordon

I think it's because Woodcraft, Rockler, and similar places feel they represent a certain level of quality. While they do sell some less expensive chisels, the fit and finish is clearly better than typical HF tools.

That said, I've always thought that HF was a good source for figuring out what you want. I bought a set of their ultra cheap bench chisels a while back just to use for experimenting/practicing sharpening methods. If I completely ruin one of those on the grinder, no big loss.

There is a set of Shopsmith Chisels on the bay currently at about $10 with about a week to go...

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Wollerman View Post
    Hey Guys, I am in the same boat as John only my cheap lathe is a ShopSmith. I know my work will be limited on this but I thought I would pick up some tools and give it a go. I want to make a couple lamp bases (upside down bowls) out of some Koa or Teak that I have.

The price of the set Bernie linked too seems like a great deal...Question;
    Why are the same type sets at, say, Woodcraft or even sears so much more $$$? Is the steel that much better? Why the disparity ?

Thanks
    Colin

Why I agree th hf chisel's fit an finish leave something to be desired I will say I own both set of the m2 steel. I have even made nice new longer handles for some. While I have bought high quaility bowl tools they are all I use for for spindle work.

Bob