Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project: Bandsaw Outfeed...from, um...scraps... :)

Project: Bandsaw Outfeed...from, um...scraps... :)

I don't tend to throw potentially good material out after projects...in the shop or in the house...are completed. As I was enjoying watching the finish cure on my current commission I realized that it was a good time to add another small improvement to my shop. So I did. The end result is some much-needed outfeed support for my MM16.

When I renovated my older daughter's bathroom in late 2016, I used a pre-fashioned countertop from Ikea to re-top the vanity. Since it came in a size longer than needed, I had a nice leftover piece that was about 35" long. It's 30mm thick and covered with laminate. As I was pursuing available material, in my "collection", that piece of counter material put up its (very little) hand and convinced me to use it for this project. A few other scraps from the bin were pulled out and I got going on what was only about an hour of easy paced work.

Having measured the available space, I determined that 24" was the maximum space available...which since I decided I was going to work in metric, was eyeballed to 65cm. I cut the piece on the saw and set it aside while I prepared for supporting it. The first thing to do was to determine where to fasten some scrap aluminum angle to the side of the saw's cast iron table to hold up the outfeed table...and obviously at the correct height. I clamped some scrap lumber to the band saw table to establish "flush" and then used the cut-off from the counter material to provide the answer. By clamping it this way, the top of the counter would be spot on to the existing table and the bottom edge of the counter could be used to mark for the aluminum supports

IMG_1539.jpg

IMG_1540.jpg

IMG_1541.jpg

At that point, I could locate the aluminum angle that had been pre-drilled for screws, mark the holes and then drill the cast iron for the fasteners. I used self-tapping screws to securely connect the angle stock to the table. Yea, it's more than one piece. Remember...I'm using scraps?

IMG_1542.jpg

Using the same clamping method I used to get "the line", the actual panel for the outfeed table was then clamped in place so I could support it co-planer to the band saw table and determine the length of the two legs that would go at the end of it. An adjustable roller stand provided additional support over just the clamps and I used a long level with a magnetic bottom to provide "the line" for insuring things were co-planer. Given the floor slopes and as is typical for any building originally designed for a garage, it's not a surprise that there was a half centimeter difference required in leg height.

IMG_1543.jpg

I cut the legs from scrap stock (one is walnut and one is "old" d-fir) and put some "feet" on them with scrap 1/4" thick material, adjusting the length to account for said feet. These were then placed and screwed from above with 2" screws counter sunk into the, um...counter. I then measured for a cross bar between the legs and fastened it with screws to provide more stability. Lastly, screws through the aluminum angle and into the bottom of the counter completed the job.

IMG_1544.jpg

Oh, and I took that off-cut and hinged it onto the end of the assembly for those times when a little extra length would be supportive. (as it were...) Support it will just be one of the roller stands and only when it's in use since it would block the person door into the shop.

IMG_1545.jpg

IMG_1547.jpg

All done, trash can back where it lives and that finish on the commission over on the bench is still curing nicely, even though I'm not watching it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

All done, trash can back where it lives and that finish on the commission over on the bench is still curing nicely, even though I'm not watching it. I may paint the legs on this thing in one of those copious free moments if I ever have one again...this retirement thing is "busy". LOL

IMG_1548.jpg

And the moral to the story is that sometimes being a bit of a material pack rat pays off...
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-30-2017 at 8:33 PM.
    --

Nice. I was looking at doing something similar. I've got a 50's Delta Crescent 20". And i've got a nice large 24" x 24" aux table on it but have had a few times where long workpieces required outfield support. The problem has been this saw's table is quite high and my cheap harbor freight roller stands don't extend high enough.

Just a few days ago, I was resawing and ripping an 8' board and needed outfield support. While wishing I had built a table similar to yours.. I realized that my 14" Delta drill press ( also vintage and on a mobile base with a big ol' vintage motor serving as ballast on the pedestal base) has an infinitely adjustable table height. Used its nice large aux table for outfield support and it worked out quite nicely.

Still, i really like your bandsaw and table.. so kudos to you for gettin' er done... Its always nice to have nice stable support at the ready..

That was very clever using the DP as outfeed support and yea...many floor DPs have quite a bit of up/down range for the table!

As to my project, I'm going to have to get used to it being so close to the door (and anticipate a few "training" bruises LOL) but I'm sure it will work out. If I shift my J/P a few inches, I can also move the BS a few inches to open that up a little...I maintain a full 8' between them for that occasional need to skim long material. I can't move it all far, however, because I don't want to complicate things with my sheet stock storage on the other side of the J/P. More than likely...I'll leave it all alone.
    --

Thanks for posting Jim.
    What type of work is needing the outfeed, particularly the extended portion?

My biggest need has been during milling with a long sled (so I'd need miter slots).
    But that is so awkward, I think this guy has the right idea (if you're using a vertical bandsaw, rather than bandsaw mill):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WItDzkTk-2s

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That was very clever using the DP as outfeed support and yea...many floor DPs have quite a bit of up/down range for the table!

As to my project, I'm going to have to get used to it being so close to the door (and anticipate a few "training" bruises LOL) but I'm sure it will work out. If I shift my J/P a few inches, I can also move the BS a few inches to open that up a little...I maintain a full 8' between them for that occasional need to skim long material. I can't move it all far, however, because I don't want to complicate things with my sheet stock storage on the other side of the J/P. More than likely...I'll leave it all alone.
    A rounded corner would have solved that. You could have used a radius to match the trash can underneath!

Looks great, Jim! If only my shop were bigger and my bandsaw didn't have to move in order for me to use it...
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Nice looking outfeed table and the price was right.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    A rounded corner would have solved that. You could have used a radius to match the trash can underneath!
    Yes, but I would have butchered the edge of the counter since it was already factory edge banded. I did a little cleanup of my clamp storage so I could move my toolbox closer to the wall and that opened things up comfortably.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    Thanks for posting Jim.
    What type of work is needing the outfeed, particularly the extended portion?
    When I'm re-sawing material longer than 3' or so, the additional support can be handy. Another use is when knocking the natural edges off some material so it will fit the J/P's 13.68"/350mm width limit without setting up to do straight lining on the slider. It's also handy to set junk on...LOL
    --

Looks really good. Do you ever use a miter gauge on the bandsaw? Might need to add a dado to your counter top.

Great idea. Wish I had room to copy it since I also am limited when re-sawing and trimming live edges. I do need to make an adjustable table to fit both my table saw and the band saw and get away from using the roller stand.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    Looks really good. Do you ever use a miter gauge on the bandsaw? Might need to add a dado to your counter top.
    I occasionally use a miter gage, but only for little cross-cuts in solid stock that doesn't go more than a few inches beyond the blade. And the rail in the miter gage is pretty short. I can always route out the extension if that becomes necessary...it's just laminate over an MDF type substrate.

Quote Originally Posted by David Utterback View Post
    Great idea. Wish I had room to copy it since I also am limited when re-sawing and trimming live edges. I do need to make an adjustable table to fit both my table saw and the band saw and get away from using the roller stand.
    Theoretically you could do a similar thing to the table saw outfeed thing I designed many years ago for the cabinet saw I owned at that point...a short "fixed" extension (which in the case of the bandsaw just goes beyond the extent of the saw motor) and a hinged fold-down section that can be popped up just when cutting. That way, you minimize space need when you're not actually cutting something.
    --

Very nice. My wife is my outfeed table

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Hunt View Post
    Very nice. My wife is my outfeed table
    You may be sleeping in your shop if she discovers you said that... LOL
    --