Thread: Vacuum Chuck

Vacuum Chuck

I turn mostly bowls and platters. I would like some input on the purchase of a vacuum chuck. How often do you use one? Is it worth having? What brand would you recommend? Any other insight would be appreciated. TIA

Tim, I made my own vac system and chucks (how-to thread located here on SMC) and use it for every bowl I turn - as long as it is solid wood and not full of voids. Once you try it, you'll love it as it gives you total access to the bottom of the bowl.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I use mine all the time. Like the previous poster, I use it on every bowl. It makes it so easy to finish the bottom.
    I have the OneWay vacuum chuck and the medium size (5 1/2 inch) works for a really wide range of bowl sizes. I just (like yesterday) got the smallest (3 1/2 inch) chuck for the teeny stuff.
    I had a Powermatic lathe and the Oneway hardware and vacuum adapter made it easy to set up. The only hassle is removing the spindle handle every time you use the vacuum adapter, but that is pretty minor. The Robust lathe has it's own vacuum adapter that's easier that way. (want to buy my old OneWay?).
    I use a Gast vacuum pump I bought used on eBay. It is very low maintenance. It pulls pretty close to 30 mm, depending on how porous the wood is. It's not exactly quiet, which aside from cost seems to be the only drawback. I've since relocated it pretty far away in my utility area. There is almost no noise now and I only lost 1-2 mm of vacuum.
    Scott

I also use mine all the time, don't know what I'd do without it anymore. The most economical set up can be found at http://www.frugalvacuumchuck.com/ Bob, who I met through the Chicago club, is a really good guy, you'll be happy with his set up.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources"
    Albert Einstein

Thank you Steve, Scott, and Jon. Time to do some researching.

6. I do more hollow forms than bowls, but when I use the vacuum, I'm a very happy guy. Look for a used Gast pump. I got mine from some place other than ebay, but I can't remember the name. Perhaps someone else knows of additional sources. You can create your own piping/valve/gauge setup with parts from MacMaster Carr. How you mate the system to your lathe will be somewhat dependent on the kind of lathe you have. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weingarden View Post
    You can create your own piping/valve/gauge setup with parts from MacMaster Carr....
    This guy has a good writeup for a do-it-yourselfer. I bought a pump and all the parts from him.
    https://www.joewoodworker.com/veneer...umchucking.htm

JKJ

I use my vacuum chuck a lot. There are several sources for the Gast or Thompson rebuilt pumps. Fregual vacuum chucks is just one. I use the Thompson. I have made my own chucks but when I got my new lathe they didn't fit and in a hurry bought the Oneway chuck. I really like that chuck. Main thing is getting a rotary adapter that fits your lathe.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

my first vac system used a rebuilt Thompson-Reichly wobbly pump using the veneer guys plans and a Holdfast rotary adapter. Chucks were turned until I bought a holdfast chuck. It worked reasonably well on the Jet 1642 I used then. When I found a Gast pump on Ebay (brand new, surplus stock being liquidated for well less than $100, I couldn’t resist. I updated my chucks to the JT Turning tools vac chuck hub using pvc fittings for chucks - a definite improvement, plus easy change to different sizes. When I upgraded to a larger lathe, I got the JT Turning Tools totary adapter as an accessory in the deal. The system is now a gast pump with JT adapter and chuck hub. It works great. Easy to setup and change chucks.

The original old rocking piston pump is now used for a carving stand on the bench (along with the holdfast chuck) where it sees ocaisional use. It still purrs away after nearly 12 years of use.