Thread: Plane find today - Craftsman and Stanley Bailey

Plane find today - Craftsman and Stanley Bailey

I left the office at lunch and went poking around and found these beauties and for a great price to boot!

Craftsman

Sears_9%22_Smooth_1.jpg

Sears_9%22_Smooth_2.jpg

Stanley Bailey

IMG_3791.jpg

What year do you reckon these are from?

thanks!

Go HERE to date the Stanley -- can't see the adjustment knob, logo on iron, etc. from your pics, or I'd hazard a guess

As to the Craftsman -- see if there's a publication date in the fine print on that manual. Also google "craftsman logo history" then match yours to the appropriate time period.
    Last edited by Joe Bailey; 11-28-2017 at 12:00 AM.

Congrats Jimmy! I would guess the Craftsman was made by Sargent and dates to the early 50’s. Check out Timetestedtools...a bit of information on Craftsman/Sargents and guides on dating the plane. They show a brochure that looks likes yours from 1951..
    For the Stanley, hard to tell from the picture. You can go to hyperkitten.com and look for the the plane dating flowchart. It will take you through how to identify the type/timeframe of manufacture.

Both should rehab up to be good users. Enjoy!

Thanks for the quick information guys.

As a note, on the Craftsman, the booklet is dated 1951 also...

Blog Entries
    On the Stanley/Bailey it is a type 16. 1933 - 1941 or later.

The knob looks like it could be stained beech instead of rosewood. If the depth adjuster is plastic it is a type 17.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hey Phil
    Thanks for the TimeTestedTools link
    I had not been aware of that site previously
    Sorry to wander off the thread
    Mike H.

Thanks everyone!

Just curious, is the Craftsman adjuster knob a right hand thread or a left hand thread like the one on your Stanley?

clockwise extends the knife to make a deeper slice. So, is this right or left?

Left hand threads

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy White View Post
    clockwise extends the knife to make a deeper slice. So, is this right or left?
    If you keep turning the screw clockwise it will eventually free itself from the yoke and come off. This is opposite what a standard right hand thread would do. Stanley changed to a left hand thread around the turn of the last century so the iron would advance when the knob is turned clockwise because its more convenient for users who are right handed. Sargent initially stuck with a right hand thread which is why some lefties prefer them. Craftsman planes were made by several different manufacturers over the years and I suspect you'll find some of each design.

Thanks for the detailed explanation!