Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which wood would you chose?

Blog Entries

Which wood would you chose?

Which wood would you chose for kitchen cabinets?
    i am reallly stuck on this.
    it does not have to be one of the veneers pictured, I mainly uploaded the pictures to show color of floor
    Attached Images Attached Images

mike, this is a wide open question so I'll shoot from the hip : Do you see that taupe-ish color swatch to the right of your foot ? I'd choose that color for your cabinets.

#2 is the one I would choose. No doubt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lilly View Post
    #2 is the one I would choose. No doubt.
    The one by my foot?
    edit: oh, the one on my hand! That is teak. I was liking that one as well. I think it might be too heavy in that room though. May be ‘too brown’ overall. Sort of like walnut.
    there is a lot of cabinetry in the room. 16, 30inch wide base cabinets.. then 200 linear inches of wall cabinets
    Last edited by mike waters; 11-27-2017 at 11:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    mike, this is a wide open question so I'll shoot from the hip : Do you see that taupe-ish color swatch to the right of your foot ? I'd choose that color for your cabinets.
    Yep! The makore! I was leaning towards that as well

Leave it up to your wife...happy life.

I like the makore.

Of the choices offered, I also like the Makore the best. What you have to consider is that you have a very "busy" floor, so you have to be careful that your cabinets don't compete/clash with that. You may also want to consider a solid painted color as an alternative.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

So the one thing you know is that you have white oak for the floor. I'd pick a cabinet species which is fairly far from that color -- either darker or lighter, but not close. Me, I find dark kitchen cabinets overbearing unless you have a very large room. If you have a more normal-sized room, lighter would be better. I'd look at ash, finished with just a clear coat -- no stain. You can get rift ash, with the long parallel lines of your sample veneers, or you can get flatsawn ash, with its distinctive cathedral patterns. Or you can have both -- for instance flatsawn for doors panels, and rift for door frames. (I suggest ash for esthetics, but it is also way less expensive than teak.)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    So the one thing you know is that you have white oak for the floor. I'd pick a cabinet species which is fairly far from that color -- either darker or lighter, but not close. Me, I find dark kitchen cabinets overbearing unless you have a very large room. If you have a more normal-sized room, lighter would be better. I'd look at ash, finished with just a clear coat -- no stain. You can get rift ash, with the long parallel lines of your sample veneers, or you can get flatsawn ash, with its distinctive cathedral patterns. Or you can have both -- for instance flatsawn for doors panels, and rift for door frames. (I suggest ash for esthetics, but it is also way less expensive than teak.)
    Excuse the mess and ignore that walnut 4x8 you see haha

I did not consider ash, yet. the room is very large the kitchen is open to the family room and dining room
    1300 ft.˛ total
    i was leaning toward makore, but pheraps I should check out ash.
    Teak is definitely out now.

What if I used quartersawn Ash for the uppers
    And Makore for the base cabinets and the islands

My only concern about going lighter is that the house is already so cold feeling, because there is an extremely large foyer and the dining and family room are so open
    Last edited by mike waters; 11-28-2017 at 11:53 AM.

Whatever wood you choose, be cognizant of the woods competing with each other or there being so much wood they blend in with each other and you lose definition between the floor and the cabinet. We ran into that recently and invited neighbors to offer up opinions. Some pointed out that with wood floors, wood cabinets and live edge slab tops, it becomes too much and overwhelms the eye.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Jim and Jamie give reasons for their choice ,and I agree with them. The thing is upside down ,the bottom needs the weight. The floor is too light ,too many colors. I think if you change that,you will have no trouble making a quick and sure choice for the cabinets.

I think I would stay away from red. Brown is ok. I like the ash idea but too much grain will clash with the floor. I would suggest you look at maple. Light color no grain conflict considerably raise that ceiling a bit with light color on top.
    Jim

I like maple with a initial finish layer of BLO to pop the grain & add a yellow tint - that should lighten up the cold colors of the room

I disagree with "cold". I think it's the beige cielings ,not the nice big rooms, Who ever first said beige is "sophisticated" was the greatest marketing genius of all time.