Thread: Segmented gluing on the lathe

Segmented gluing on the lathe

From the photos you can see I use cole jaws to glue rings, after rings are dry then I will flaten them and stack. I do have pipe and bar clamps also to use in assembly.
    Glue slip is less of a problem for me using the funnels. I can see my alignment better. I use a sink cutout to glue wedges by hand or hose clamps, you can see that on top of the portable table saw.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That’s a good idea George. Does the glue scrape off?
    Don

No, not really, I use a heavy gouge and a straight edge to make sure they are flat. I do this in the Cole jaws and again after glue has dried on the lathe. Of course it would be faster with a drum sander. Sometimes I will use a sanding board to flaten, but that's real dusty. I always ware eye protection when woodworking or turning.

I also use the cole chuck to flatten using a gouge and a quick touch with a sanding board. For gluing a ring I first flatten the last ring but leave a shallow tenon that fits the inside of the next ring. This stops the glue slip and centers the ring automatically. I use the tail stock and disk of plywood for clamp pressure. It takes time but the glue sets fast in the summer. It doesn't work if the rings are the same size.