Thread: Honey Sticks Display Box

Honey Sticks Display Box

A neighbor of mine is a hobbyist bee keeper. He does sell his honey but this summer decided to make and sell flavored honey sticks. Since he knew that I am a hobbyist woodworker we struck a deal and I made 8 display boxes for him.

The sticks are about 7 inches tall and he wanted 2 rows of 5 compartments each. Although he didn't think about it, I figured it would be a good idea to try and make the boxes so they could be easily disassembled for cleaning, especially if there happened to be a leaky stick.

It took a bit of head scratching but I finally came up with a design and went into production. The front, sides and back are 1/2" poplar. The partitions are 1/4" MDF core maple plywood and the bottom is 3/4" plywood left over from another project. The thicker bottom is needed to give the box some weight.

The front, sides and bottom are the only pieces that are glued together. Dados in the front, sides and back keep the partition pieces in place. The back has stopped dados and when it is screwed in place all the partition pieces are locked in. The poplar is stained with Honey Maple gel stain, of course. My neighbor had the clear background decals made and put them on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a really nice setup, John!

Professor Dr. SWMBO is a beekeeper and there are several folks here on the forum who also are beeks.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice! Did you do the artwork too?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks Jim and Bruce. I didn't do the final artwork but gave my neighbor the basic layout with the banner and text, including finding the "honey drip" font that is used.

Nice, clean, simple, well conceived solution that is executed appropriately.

John, that's a perfect compliment to the home made honey--makes for a nice presentation!

"Beeks"

That's a nice box!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”